ESAB Mig machines?

My local Airgas guy speaks highly of these guys (made in Florence, SC). Specifically, the 250 model...any opinions?

Reply to
jimgnospam

I would like to here what Ernie thinks of them

Reply to
williamhenry

my esab 161 tig/stick unit works very well.

i did have a problem with my 1st unit. local esab dealer was slow to get the unit fixed, so i emailed the chiefs at esab corporate in SC and within two days they phoned me, and i had a new unit 4 days later.

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Try:

(all on one line)

JLD

Reply to
Jeff Dantzler

To cut to the chase. They suck.

By a Miller or Lincoln MIG and you will be much much much happier.

You can pull up my past posts on the subject. I am tired of typing the same things over the years.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

The 250 plus is a nice machine.If I didn't have my 300 powermig I would own one.Try all three,and make up your own mind.The only real thing wrong with it is that it has the same crappy gun like on the Miller 251.

Reply to
scott

Sorry you are wrong. They may be aboutthe same size and shape as Lincolns or Millers, but inside they arena't even close in quality.

For god sakes man just look at the wire feed drive motors in an ESAB

260 versus either a Miller 251 or Lincoln 255. There is no comparison. ESAB just uses cheap parts. I am not saying their machines won't weld, but they are just not built anywhere close to as well as Lincolns or Millers. Hell even Thermal Arc's Fabricator MIGs are built much better.

If ESAB charged accordingly I wouldn't be complaining so much, but they expect you to pay the same price as a Lincoln or Miller, but get 20% less machine.

I am not mmaking this stuff up guys. I have been watching this industry like a hawk for 20 years now. I have 2 very good friends that have both been working in welder repair for about 15 years each. They work in different shops in Seattle. Both of them will go off at length about ESAB's junky parts. Their only complaint about Lincoln is a slight inconsistency in wiring and assembly. Miller gets better marks for quality of machine assembly, and they both agreed that Panasonic Gunslingers are the best Built MIG machines on the market.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ernie, i hear that ESAB really has "2" markets, US and oversees, but i hear from others that it's the US made units that suck, but the oversees units are of much better quality. is this true ??

Reply to
Kryptoknight

I have heard the same thing. The European machines are made in Sweden, the land of the Volvo and SAAB. The American units are made in what was Linde's plant in South Carolina.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Sweden: And the land of Absolut Vodka...

This will explain the differences. I've always wondered about complaints of ESAB products, but have failed to note the plants they're manufactured. I've lurked this group for 6 years and it took this long to understand the basics.

There obviously are some differencies between plants, since I've been a proud owner of the yellow machine, and have been silent because of ESAB's reputation in this group. ESAB Sweden plant is in my neighbour country, so my unit is made in there.

Finally, there must be quality, or other problems, depending on manufacturer, or manufracturer, as I put side by side these two plants.

Thanks for expanding my way of thinking, Matti R.

Reply to
Matti Rantanen

Reply to
scott