Re: BOM format change in ProE

R. T. Miller, have you checked a part file for the parameters contained in
it? Pro/e creates parts, from their default template, with two parameters
already added to each: MODELLER and DESCRIPTION. You may not have entered
values for these parameters, but they exist. Check what paramters exist in
parts by going to 'Tools>Parameters'.
This is just one of a vast array of means that Pro/e has for creating
parameters. Some of them are system parameters, some are users defined. Some
are defined in part mode with 'Tools>Paramters' or 'Tools>Relations' or
through Pro/PROGRAM. You also have at your disposal yet another way to
create parameters, namely, through format tables. If the config.pro option
'make_parameters_from_fmt_tables' is set to YES, your format table is
probably doing just that. Very handy, then you just edit the table to
assign, all in one place, a whole bunch of values to those variables. This
will work fine, as long as you are not trying to create a parameter which
already exists. I'm not sure what error message it will give you, but there
will be a conflict. If all of the parameters are created elsewhere (part,
assembly, drawing) and 'make_parameters_from_fmt_tables' is set to NO, there
should be no conflict from duplicate parameter creation. But, that would be
the first thing I'd check.
Also, I know this is a long shot, I'd also check to see that
'2d_region_columns_fit_text' is set to YES, since the error message refers
to length. Pro/E error messages are notoriously vague and cryptic, as if
they are for programmers, not users. Have you found any reference to that
error message?
David Janes
I wanted to add a parameter (Description) in the report parameters of
> the Bill of Materials. I went to "Help" under the heading "About Bills
> of Material (BOMs)" and followed the instructions there.
>
> I received the error:
>
> %ERROR -- FORMAT SPECIFIER TOO LARGE OR TRANSLATED LINE TOO LONG >
>
> ---So I went back to the Help page, and I changed my personal .fmt to
> what the Help pages said were the default settings.
>
> I got the same error with the default settings.
>
> I deleted the whole thing from my config.pro file, and got what I
> normally get (without the description parameter that I wanted.)
>
> Can anyone tell me the mistake I'm making in my BOM_format file as > stated here?
>
> .breakdown
> %$type %$name %$description contains:
> .row %$quantity[6d]; %$type[12s]; %$name[15s]; %$description
> .summary
> Summary of parts for assembly %$name %$description
> .row %$quantity[6d]; %$type[12s]; %$name[15s]; %$description
>
> TIA,
>
> Indyrose
Reply to
David Janes
Hi rose, I had this problem. I do not know if there is a smarter solution changing defaults in the config.pro, but here is a solution. This error has to do with the format of the file. If the file is edited with the notepad then you have this error. I can not remember if you have the error with the wordpad, but I think that I used the edit command at the command prompt (the old DOS command). With this edit you probably will not have this annoying problem (you have been making all the things like the manual say). Bye,
Reply to
Diego Peinado Martín
Thanks, Dave and Deigo!
I tried ALL the suggestions together, and it worked. I believe the error message did come from not having the "2d_region_columns_fit_text YES" line in the config.pro.
I put that in and *most* of the printout looked as I wanted it to look. Then I noticed that the "description" parameter was a user-defined parameter, so I removed the $ in front. BINGO! I got what I wanted.
I also created the format file and config.pro in Wordpad instead of Notepad. I doubt if there is really that much difference, but it was worth the try.
Now, I just need to contact my system administrator to make Intralink stop overwriting my config.pro everytime I log in. At least I know how to reset it when I want, but it's annoying to have my settings overwritten....
Thanks again!
Indyrose
Reply to
Rose
Sysadmins get so cranky when you bother them. Talking to mere mortals disturbs the computer gods. I'd just hide the config.pro somewhere and load it manually. PITA but involves no hassles.
David Janes
Reply to
David Janes
First try changing the properties to Read Only and/or Hidden. If that doesn't work it would be best to move it as David suggests.
M.M.M.
Reply to
Mark N. McAllister
Gee, I'm not sure where you guys work, but our IS dept jumps when engineering calls... It's fixed already, with an apology for having the bug in Intralink that wouldn't save my settings.
-- I have worked in other companies whose IS didn't respond the way ours does though. I love working here (Lastec, a turf-mower manufacturer).
Indyrose
Reply to
Rose