Setting up component parameters.

Create a startpart with all the parameters, views, default densities, etc you need, then use it each time you create a new part.

Reply to
John Wade

I have a repeat region BOM table that uses the item number using.

&asm.mbr.cparam.find_no and &asm.mbr.cparam.sheet_no

Lets say that "find_no" for shcs_250-20x750.prt is 1, "sheet_no" is 2, and I have 50 instances of such part in my assembly. Is there an easier way to assign component parameters to all 50 instances than one at a time?

This is my process currently: Set Up>Parameters>Component>Pick (select component)>Create>Integer FIND_NO

1

Create>Integer

SHEET_NO

2

Done for each item in my assembly. When you use dozens of the same item, this is time consuming to have to do this to 50 screws here, 50 screws there.

Am I missing something here?

Reply to
Fatman

These are not part parameters, they are component parameters, which isn't the same thing. Component parameters are not stored in the .prt file. The screws and such are "library components" which are off limits for modification. Find_no and Sheet_no information will change from project to project. You can change/add part parameters in the model tree easily, you just can't do assembly parameters that way.

Thanks for trying though.

Fatman.

Reply to
Fatman

There is only one thing I can think of that might help.... a little. And that is, to create these parameters when you create the format table.

Let me explain. If you set the config.pro option make_parameters_from_fmt_tables to yes, you can "build" your BOM into the format and when it is placed, not only pick up parameter values that exist in the assembly, parts, components, but also create the parameters (at some default value, left blank in the table). The report parameters that you mentioned, &asm.mbr.cparam.find_no and &asm.mbr.cparam.sheet_no, would create two component parameters, find_no and sheet_no, for each component. Then you can go back through the BOM, editing each cell to fill in the values. I think this is generally easier than doing it in the model tree.

The only problem that I'm aware of is that the parameter type defaults to string and I'm not sure if there's a way to change it. Then again, it might ask for a type when you first place the format and it tries to create the parameters. As far as the procedure, get the models added, place views, even get the dimensioning done. Then, go back to sheet one, set model to the top level assembly and place the format. Since your "50 screws here, 50 screws there" are in a flat, not recursive, table, you should have totals for components, necessitating filling in the cparam values for only one instance of the 50 shcs_250-20x750 components.

There may also be a way with Pro/PROGRAM but I'd have to dig into that and I'm pretty sure it's not easier than the way I've outlined above.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

make_parameters_from_fmt_tables

parameters. As far

It would be nice if I could assign it once per part, and it was applied to all instances of that part. I will give your suggestion a shot and see if it flies.

Thanks,

Fatman

Reply to
Fatman