Removing detail from complex assemblies

Here's the scenario: I have a fairly complex assembly with hundreds of parts. I need to send portions of it to different vendors. For example, the outer enclosure is sheetmetal, it goes to the sheetmetal shop (they use SW, no need for drawings).

Problem: I don't want to ship the model of the whole product to my vendors. Many reasons. First, it is unnecesary. Second, there are design elements that are proprietary and should not leave the office in the context of a complete design.

Is there a way to save a new assembly with parts and sub-assemblies removed? The problem is that lots of parts and assemblies have references to other parts and assemblies. So, deleting is out of the question or the design blows-up. I'm sure there's a more elegant way to way to handle this.

Thanks,

-Martin

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve. You mention the specific example of the sheet metal enclosure, but presumably you can just email this single part to your supplier? Does this not also apply to any other parts?

If some of the other suppliers need sub-sections of the assembly, then I suspect that using configs and suppressing the unwanted components and then exporting it as a parasolid or IGES might do the trick.

If suppliers need the whole assembly, but only as an envelope, and you don't want them to have access to the part historys, then you can save the assembly as a single part (see file/save as) with the option of using the external surfaces only.

John H

Reply to
John H

"m" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...

Not sure of what you need, but save as part/ outer surfaces only gives you... exactly what it says.

Reply to
Jean Marc