Mechanical Desktop --> Solidworks

Hi, A client of us wants to migrate from mechanical desktop (r4) to Solidworks (2005).

I heard from a CAD supplier that it is possible to first migrate to Mechanical desktop 6, open and save the models and then import the models in Solidworks 2005. This way features should be recognised. I don't know about drawings.

Does anybody have experience with this?

Thanks,

Bas

Reply to
Bas Slijkhuis

I've converted some older MDT 3.0 (Sheetmetal) files into Solidworks files with pretty good success. I had to use featureworks to do it and it was kind of a slow process, but it worked without any problems.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Charney

Mechanical Desktop Files The MDT translator imports part and assembly information from Mechanical Desktop=E2 (MDT) files as SolidWorks part or assembly documents. You must have MDT installed on your desktop, but it does not have to be running, to use the MDT translator.

The MDT translator is integrated into the DXF/DWG Import Wizard in the SolidWorks software. The wizard is always available when you select DXF (*.dxf) or DWG (*.dwg) under Files of type in the Open dialog box.

If you import large assemblies from MDT, SolidWorks recommends you do the following:

Start Mechanical Desktop and open the MDT file inside the MDT application before you import the file into the SolidWorks application.

Set the MDT temporary files path to a drive where you have sufficient space (1GB minimum).

Increase the paging file size to appropriate limits. This is relevant mainly for low configuration systems.

MDT files can contain a combination of part, assembly, and drawing files. The MDT translator provides different conversion options, depending upon the contents of the MDT file. The MDT translator supports import of MDT assembly relations.

The MDT translator supports the following items during import:

Large MDT assembly files, in excess of 130MB in size, depending on the complexity of the data.

All types of mates, including point-to-point and line-to-line mates

MDT combined features, which are sometimes referred to as toolbodies

MDT tapped hole features (cosmetic thread annotation)

MDT design tables (Design Variable Tables - Global Variable Sheets)

MDT Work Features (Work Planes, Work Axes, and Work Points)

MDT pattern features, which creates multiple disjoint bodies

If you have been using AutoCAD on your computer, open Mechanical Desktop before opening an MDT file in SolidWorks so SolidWorks recognizes the file as an MDT file and not an AutoCAD file.

Version Information The MDT translator supports MDT 4.0 or higher.

To open an MDT file:

Click Open on the Standard toolbar, or click File, Open.

In the dialog box, set Files of type to DXF (*.dxf) or DWG (*.dwg), browse to a file, then click Open.

In the DXF/DWG Import Wizard, select Import MDT data from file (imports as parts, assemblies and/or drawings), then click Next.

If you do not have Mechanical Desktop installed, the option to import MDT data is not available.

On the Document Settings screen, select options for the Model and layout tabs, then click Finish.

Reply to
kmaren24

We are in the same boat - migrating MDT 4.0 to SWX 2005. SWX said it would work in both the last SP of SWX 2004 and the 1st release of SWX 2005. We said "show me". They tried, even though the VAR was assured by corporate that it could, but wouldn't. After some research, the VAR was informed by corporate... "oops, it won't, but we are fixing it in the next SP for 2004 and in SP1 of SWX 2005. Corporate was able to release the fix on 2004 first, so they installed, and it now works. 80% of parts and 80% of the assembly mates come across. Not bad. We are waiting for our VAR to install the demo of 2005 SP1 to verify that release does work.

Part of the trouble is that Windows 2000 was the last version supported by MDT 4.0, and Windows 2000, for a while was too old to be supported by SWX

2005. But that has been fixed now.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Coleman