finite element software

I'm looking for an inexpensive finite element software package to do mostly simple stress analysis. I would like to have a program that could import a solid model, either from proe or solidworks, and do the anaylsis on that model. solidworks has a built in FEA package called Cosmos, that comes with the standard package but is very limited. I don't want to pay the cost for a full version of cosmos. Anybody know of a software package available or any other package that may be useful. I did see a package called Lisa that looked pretty good but no solid model import feature that I could find. If the FEA software has a decent modeling interface, themn perhaps that would be ok.

Reply to
jsutton

If you are the student in university now, maybe you can apply for the university version of some FEM analysis bussiness software, some companies can supply the free-charge of such version or with the limited DOF number. You can try to search it by google.

Good luck!

Bosson "jsutton =D0=B4=B5=C0=A3=BA "

Reply to
Bosson

I know there's a student version of ANSYS available for ~$200. That should do almost everything except the really exotic stuff. There's also an open source version of NASTRAN...I think George Tech is the caretaker. That should be free.

Tom.

Reply to
Tom Sanderson