Bevel gears wanted

I'm looking for a pair of 1:1 bevel gears to reproduce an old engine control. Sizes not critical, but originals were something like 2.5" -

3" dia & 14 teeth, ie bigger/coarser than what's readily available for sensible money from the likes of HPC. The large tooth size is useful because of the crude mounting method. They are turned by hand, never more than 300 degrees, not heavily loaded, the originals were probably just cast. The time & expense of trying to make new ones from scratch probably wouldn't be justifiable. Anyone have something gathering dust which might fit the bill?

Thanks

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

2.5" -

justifiable.

Buy two old Stanley hand drills at a boot fair and use the bigger of the pair of gears from each. (or maybe there is a Chinese or India copy of the Stanley out there?)

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I think they might be too big, from what I recall. Also possibly not

45 deg teeth. Actually some people do use the complete 'gearbox' from a cheapo hand drill for engine controls, but that's where reduction gearing is needed. Much closer to what I need would be two of the *small* pinions from a Stanley 1/2" 2-speed breast drill, the open geared type, but again the teeth may be at the wrong angle & the chances of picking two of them up at the right price in the next couple of weeks must be small. I actually wore out the small pinion on mine years ago, when I was younger & more energetic!

Pic of what I'm aiming for (Roughly, not a museum standard replica):-

Thanks

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

available

replica):-

Blimey that's a tad crude ! As for the drills, here's one:

And here's another:

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

The forward and reverse box on Volvo Penta stern legs have something similar. As it's always the bottom bevels that die the F & R gears seem to accumulate. Dare I mention I have the odd set in my shed? :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom

The two large gears from those drills won't mesh at 90º because they aren't 45º bevels. Only 1 : 1 are 45º bevels.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Tim

I am sure I have seen gears thet would suit your purpose in car differentials.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Ph

Trailer landing legs.

.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

?? As in artic trailer?

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

No harm mentioning it, but the airfreight might be a bit alarming :-( The backplate hasn't turned up yet, & this job needs sorting within 2 weeks so hitching them to a passing freighter wouldn't be an option.

Outdrives don't see much use on the canals, so I wouldn't know where to start looking around here.

Thanks

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

If one of those particular ones can be removed for a while, Do you know anyone with a small foundry or induction furnace that could rattle off a couple of copies for the odd gallon of diesel and some cast iron stock???

They'd end up too small, but that isn't a problem with bevel gears, just mount them to suit.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Yup there are a pair in the top of each quite crude. trailer spares places used to sell them but I bet on cost it's a new leg now and they don't repair them so you may get lucky and find a bent pair.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

It's not overdue yet. I checked the date and it's still inside the delivery parameters. But I expected better since it is supposed the be "air". I sent a swag of calendars off to the UK before Christmas and apparently none ever got there. :-(

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Thanks John.

I'll give my customer the challenge of trying to track some down. Keeps him out of my hair & saves him money at the same time

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Tim,

I'd cast you a pair but the furnace is disconnected in preparation for another (hopeful) move.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Andrew