Mill radius jig.

I don't have a rotary table at my disposal so I'm looking for some ideas for building a radius jig to machine radii on the ends of flat bar . I have a few ideas in my head as follows ,,, It would be a rotating affair with a base that can be held in the machine vice or clamped to the mill table .And a swivelling top piece with slots or tapped holes for clamping work pieces on. Maybe have an adjustment to be able to machine differnt radii on varoius sizes of flat bar and would be rotated by hand using a lever type handel against the end mill cutter.The end of the bar would be ground close to size before using the mill so only light cuts would need to be taken.

I dont want to re-invent the wheel if some one has already done this. Thoughts and comments welcomed.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

Could you use a fly cutter shaped like a lathe formtool?

Reply to
penfold

In article , "Kevin(Bluey)" writes

The G H Thomas design looks good for this purpose. Hemingway have a kit to make it:

You can read GHT's description of its manufacture, and his take on the geared/ungeared question, in his Workshop Manual if you wish.

(I have had the kit on my shelf for some years, from Neil H's days, not got around to making it as I have a larger table already.)

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Thanks for the memory jog ,now that you mention it ,it does ring a bell. I have his books and don't know why I didn't think to go back and look . The kit will cost a small fortune in postage so I might just have a shot at making one from what I have at hand .

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

--This may be a bit of overkill but here's a link to a video of a radiusing setup I made. I'm using the little Sherline cnc rotary table which is a real bargain..

steamer