Quillmaster instructions?

Greetings All, Does anybody here have the instructions for setting the angle on a Quill master head? I have looked all over the web without success. One web site has some drawings of possible uses but nothing on how to actually set the angle with relative ease. Thanks, Eric

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Eric,

I don't know that head, but why not do the trick with a dial indicator on the end of a long arm, held perpendicular to the quill?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

The Quillmaster head changes two angles instead of just one when the angle is changed. Instead of the interface between the two parts of the head being parallel to the quill axis the two faces are at an angle. Lets say the head is adjusted so it is straight. You indicate on the upper part where the casting is ground. Now you loosen the screws and change the angle. At any angle other than 180 or 90 the cutter is actually at a compound angle. I can use the compound angle formulas to figure out where to set things but I'm sure the things were shipped with instructions that are hopefully aimed at folks who don't wanna get out the books just to set up the thing. If you google for it you will see illustrations. Check out this link:

Eric R Snow

(snip description of geometry)

Fair enough, sounds like one of those "very useful but not user friendly" things that applies in so many fields.

Compound angles make my brian hurt. And I built my house with hip-roofs, so I have direct personal experience in said pain. Best of luck to you my friend.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

That's a freaky little attachment. Looks super useful, but it looks like it should come with a bottle of Advil and a calculator.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

It is real handy Pete. When new it must have come with some relatively simple instructions. And a lot of machinists don't like math so that makes me think that there might even be a chart or a table or something. There is a scale on the thing but the numbers don't correlate to the angle it's at which also leads me to believe there must be instructions. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Is there any possibility of getting the instructions from Hardinge, who took over Bridgeport and is now cranking out Bridgeport mills again?

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I dunno Grant. This head was made for bridgeport. But I will try them. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

I wouldn't hold out too much hope, Eric. I got one in an auction lot several years ago. The quillmaster, QRA attachment, and wrenches were in all the original packaging, but the only instructions covered how to attach the QRA to the quillmaster.

The QRA has milled flats, similar to a full size right angle attachment except in the form of an L, which would be useful for setting angles. Perhaps a square block bored to clamp on the nose of the quillmaster would do the trick?

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Ned, Any idea on how to use the scale on the thing? You wanna sell the QRA head? It looks like a job coming up is going to require me to make one. Eric

Reply to
Eric R Snow

I'm afraid both the quillmaster and QRA are long gone. After seeing the prices they were fetching on ebay I couldn't justify keeping them around.

I don't know how to use the scale. From the photos in an old Bridgeport catalog, it appears the scale is arbitrary. Is that so? I'm having just as hard a time as you imagining the scale being very useful, but Bridgeport did go to some trouble to put one on the tool.

It still seems to me that one way to set the angles would be to clamp a pin in the collet, or some more convenient reference to the nose of the quillmaster. Then use a sine bar or protractor to measure the angles between the axis of the quillmaster's spindle and the xy and xz planes of the mill.

Or, put a pin in the quillmaster's collet. Mount a plate with a hole that's a close fit on the pin on a sine bar or small sine table. Clamp the sine bar or table to the machine table, tipped up and rotated to the proper angles. Align the pin in the quillmaster to the hole.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

What I do usually is clamp a 3/16 pin in the collet and use either an angle block setup or a sine bar setup to set the angle. After the angle is set I then square the pin to to table travel. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow