Chuck removal/attachment for G9249

I recently bought a Grizzly G9249 and have come to the first time that I want to change from a 3-Jaw to a 4 Jaw. I see that there are two allen-bolt attached clamps. I removed those and suppose that the 3-Jaw unscrews from the spindle. I am having a bugger of a time getting it off and am afraid that I am going the wrong way and/or it doesn't even screw off-or there is some mechanism for detachment that I am unaware of. The manual that came with the lathe is very brief when it comes to operation and techniques. Does anyone have the answer to the 3 basic questions below?

  1. How does a chuck on the spindle of the G9249 come off?
  2. If it unscrews after the two clamp pieces are removed, which way does it unscrew?
  3. If it unscrews and rescrews, is there a tool that one can make to aid in the removal and reattachment?

Thanks a billion to anyone that can help me!

Russ

Reply to
hbar_1999

Is it a cam lock chuck ???

Reply to
kbeitz

Is it a cam lock chuck ???

Reply to
kbeitz

Is it a cam lock chuck ???

Reply to
kbeitz

Is it a cam lock chuck ???

Reply to
kbeitz

Is it a cam lock chuck ???

Reply to
kbeitz

Reply to
joelblatt

Reply to
hbar_1999

That's enough now!!! You're making me stutter.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Wait for counter comments before you try this but I read an old book once that spoke of using a hardwood block sitting on ways such that when you bumped the chuck via power in reverse, the jaw hit the block and broke the chuck loose.

I used this method all the time on a cheap enco lathe at a former job, it worked even when some idiot had put the chuck on and spun it on under power.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch