Valuations please

A friend's widow is trying to decide what to do with his Alladin's cave of engineering equipment and machinery. John was a perfectionist to the point of OCD and everything had to be perfect, restored to original condition if not already in it and he made lists of things he didn't have just to fill in the gaps even if he never intended to use them. Every size of drill, every reamer, every tap,die - you get the picture. He even had all his woodscrews nickel plated before using them.

Anyway, 3 things on the menu at present.

1) A 1950s Progress No1 drill with 1/2" chuck, dial gauge built in to indicate drilling depth, 340-2580 rpm. Some sort of mod from 3 phase to 2 phase which she isn't clear about - there's a box with MEMADS7 on it. Means nowt to me.

2) Editions of Model Engineer from 1948 to 1984, 56 volumes altogether, all bound.

3) Editions of Model Engineer's Workshop from issue 1 to 115, all bound with indices. None missing.

I also know there's a completely restored Student in bits under his bench with all the ways reground, painted back to original colour, all the badges replaced, everything mint. Rather fancy that myself.

Any ideas of what she might ask for the above?

Reply to
LIP

Dave,

The drill might make £50 on ebay. It does not sound like the more desirable version with a backgear fitted as the bottom speed is too high for that model. That might make £150. It would have to be sold as a

3phase machine given the unknown parentage of the converter. MEMADS7 ?? Might be a MEM branded switch which would have been a brand from those days.

Bound volumes of ME are difficult to sell - dealers don't seem to want them either.

MEW in contrast always seems to be in demand and I've seen an advert recently asking £300 for a similar number of issues.

I might be interested in them but could only run to £100 or so. Let me know if this is of interest

Bob

bobdotminchinatntlworlddotcom

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Hi Dave If they are not too far I would like the bound volumes of ME What part of the country are they in? Mike

Reply to
Mike cole