Looking for a motor

Hi Bob
Peripheral to your question, I wonder if you, or anybody else could help; I have a DC motor and controller from a washing machine which I would like to use on my lathe to obtain speed control. The only problem I have is I haven't got a wiring diagram and have no idea where to find one although I have trawled the net.
If I junk the existing controller, what I would like is information so I can make or buy a suitable controller.
What I presumably need is a method of rectification and a speed controller. The only controllers I have found have been too expensive to make the project worthwhile.
Any assistance gratefully received.
John
John wrote:

Could be grunty enuff, depending on the lathe - let's assume a Myford or similar, needs about 2/3 HP, mebbe even a Boxford at 1.5 HP or so - but I've never come across a DC main motor in a washing machine. Are you entirely certain it's DC?
I guess I only get to look inside old washing machines, but I've looked at quite a lot of them...
The only

make is not really practical, even if electronic genius, easier to earn money and buy one.
buy yes, but it will take time and looking if you want a cheap one, see below.

I bought a 3/4 HP Leeson Speedmaster DC motor controller for 12.71 on fleabay a fortnight ago - been looking for a bargain for six months or more - and bought a 650W 90V DC motor for 14 several months before that.
But there have been several 0.5-1.0 HP inverter drives going at sub-40 prices on fleabay recently, rather than the 90 or so they were a few months ago, maybe worth a look?
However, you will then need a dual-voltage 3-phase AC motor ... come to think of it, I need to buy one too, as I just bought a 3/4 HP inverter for 19 odd ...
:)
-- Peter Fairbrohter
dam cant speel my one name

Hotpoint (Cough, spit) use universal motors. Bought one. Got a company discount (part of GEC in the good old days). Will never buy another one. Any washing machine that needs new motor brushes every 6 months is defective by design.
Mark Rand RTFM
John has brought this to us :

This might give you some ideas about the circuit theory.
http://homepages.which.net/~paul.hills/SpeedControl/SpeedControllersBody.html
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)