NOW will we see SW for Linux?

Now that Linux is apparently ready for the desktop:

?name=News&file=article&sid=7084
HP thinks Linux is ready for desktop users. And Mandrake9.1 is REALLY good.

Well, SW? I'm waiting.

(I think bobz. is, too.)

-nick e.

Reply to
Nick E.

Maybe they don't want to lose thier 'credits' at Microsoft. With 2004 they have almost everything to migrate to different OS. But still some features depent on ms stuf.

Beside the linux version of solidworks I would like to have a linux version for edrawing and edrawing plugins for non ie browsers.

Johnny

Reply to
Johnny Geling remove: _removethis_

I highly doubt it.

Jim S.

Reply to
Jim Sculley

bob z. has been using mandrake 9.1 ever since RC1 came out. it is awesome. IceWM is the only way to fly. offtopic, but bob z. has a little home network with 3 computers attached. bob z.'s computer is dual-booting window$ and mandrake. the other two are winxp (the m.e. of nt). bob z. didn't have to do a single thing but click the mouse a couple times to browse the other computer's contents from the mandrake box. mandrake just plain rocks. bob z. would buy a seat of solidworks if it would run natively in linux.

less money wasted on the O.S. is better spent on the cad software. is anybody listening?

Reply to
bob zee

well, I've tried to install RedHAt 8 and let me tell you that it is not the easiest thing on earth.

-it's extremely partition / HD specific. 2 days wasted on that.

-if you want a linux that is geared for your cpu, you have to recompile and watch out ... a few days nightmare make clean, make mrproper, make dep, try to configure (in front of a panel with 100options or more), make bzImage, make modules....3 days wasted on that

-installing/recompiling a software > go command line

-Redhat keeps sending me errata email, quite a lot, about bugs

-video drivers are very limitated, installing them is badly documented.

-ram management is rather weird, and gets clogged quickly.

-file browser sucks

-wouldn't play my mp3?!

-assigning file security is complicated

and it's not mind blowing fast at all, even a bit slower to start any app than my current XP setup.

I think you got to try it to really see that it worth, and that it's not the easy Windows we are used to...

no so sure my grandma would love to recompile her kernel :)

Dom

Nick E. wrote:

Reply to
Flipper

redhat 8.0 was by far the easiest for bob z. to install. no thinking, just doing.

partition? of course! HD specific? what do you mean? brand? type? size?

get the proper iso and you won't need to recompile. nightmare? how?

so... try a different distro! :~)>

is this a bad thing? how often are you updated or even notified of major blunders, holes, bugs, issues, etc. from big brother gate$?

no argument there. shame...

big bad gate$ doesn't understand the difference between hard drive space and ram.

now, now. personal opinion shouldn't be necessary. lets stay subjective, shall we? ever see opera?

redhat is nervous about copyright issues...

read the manual!

so, how much money is gate$ paying you to spread this FUD?

neither would mine, so she doesn't.

Reply to
bob zee

Erm, how is this any worse than Windows where you don't even have the option of tailoring the OS to your specific hardware? Do you think that Windows is somehow optimizing itself for your hardware in the background? Put quite simply, that doesn't happen.

Why are you not using RPMs or binary distributions? Just because most software for Linux is available as source doesn't mean it isn't available in other formats as well. Incidentally, if some Windows program was available as source, you wouldn't even have the tools required to compile it. All Linux distributions give you those tools for free.

Yep. You find out about them shortly after they are discovered, as opposed to waiting for the next service pack. Since October of 2002, I have 130 security related emails from Mandrake Linux. Every time I receive one, I fire up Mandrake Update and immediately install the available fix. No more difficult that Windows Update and much more verbose in terms of information about the fix.

The fault there lies with the video card manufacturers. They, much like CAD vendors, think propietary software is somehow helpful. I have a video card that is anything but mainstream, and Linux supports it with no problem.

I think you don't know what you are talking about. Linux memory management is *different* than Windows memory management. If you don't understand the differences, claiming that it is 'weird' or that it 'gets clogged' is likely inaccurate.

Which one? You have your choice of several. Personally, I don't use one. The command line is much better for file management.

Highly unlikely. There are many MP3 players available. Mandrake comes with several, and I suspect RedHat is the same.

File security is a complicated subject. Windows would have you

*believe* otherwise. If you investigate the number of virii Linux is susceptible to in comparison to Windows, you'll find that Linux has next to zero virii problems. The superior file security of Linux is the primary reason it has so few virii problems. In Linux, *everything* is a file. Therefore, better file security means better overall security.

Which apps have you tried that run on both? That's really the only fair comparison you can make. Anything else is comparing applications, not operating systems. Furthermore, startup time is a sily way to compare. How much time do you spend starting apps as opposed to using them?

It can be as easy as Windows. In fact, out of the box it genreally is. The places where Linux becomes more difficult are the places that Windows won't even let you explore.

There is absoultely no reason she would ever need to. Just as you never need to recompile your Windows kernel. Oh wait, you can't. Nevermind.

Jim S.

Reply to
Jim Sculley

I know there are some guru here, like those who replied, but my comments are base on what i've experienced and felt trying to install a linux *Distro*, that is redhat.

overall I didn't like the experience and i'm not a starter in OS installation, so my point is that thing is far from beeing ready to get mainstream. I was talking with a linux dude every day trying to fix problems....

my pc with winXP is quite well optimised by default, which is not the case with redhat. Starting that olg cow netscape just crawl over 10 sec in redhat80, while it's alive in 5 sec easily under Winnie. and the rest is just has laggy, on a DUAL 1800mhz, 1gig of ram machine????

I'm not a fan of BillyG, but trying to complain about is OS after what I've experienced is difficult.

hey bob, have a Smirnoff Ice and relax :)

Dom

Reply to
Flipper

Hey Dom,

I'm with you. First of all - I'm for Linux as much as the next guy but I don't think it is as great as people make it out to be for desktop use. I have spent just as many nights cursing Linux as I have Windows. I am by no means a newbie - and I have tried quite a few *distros*, myself (starting with RedHadt 5.2 thru to 8, Mandrake 7.1 thru tp 9.1, Peanut Linux 8 thru

9.3, Gentoo Linux - because it uses Python for package management, as well as Debian Linux on an old SPARC station no less). None have left me with a warm fuzzy feeling. And, I also firmly believe everything I have run on a fresh install of Linux (currently Mandrake 9.1) compared to a fresh install of Win2K is SLOOOWER. I am talking about GUI applications here like Netscape and Opera for instance. I think XWindows is the real culprit (combined with the poor graphics drivers). Talk about a pig...

I maintain my opinion that Linux totally kicks ass in a server environment and is not too shabby in as a desktop either, but it is by no means head and shoulders above the rest yet. Sure it is nice that you can recompile your kernel, and do all sorts of other fancy stuff, but most Windows users (and therefore your average desktop user) don't give a rat's ass. Before you all jump on me - if you *do* want to recompile your kernel, obviously I am not talking about you ;o)! Also, it is just as unstable as Windows (IMHO). Sure, you may get a nice message box telling you that a program cause a Signal 11, and was terminated - and it didn't corrupt any of your other processes. You can even take a look at the core dump and backtrace the stack if you really wanted to. But who cares? How is it different from Solidworks vanishing with a useless message box, when you are trying to finish a project at 1AM? Try to run XMMS and a few web browser windows for awhile and see what happens. God forbid we should throw a *real* program like Solidworks into the equation. What would happen then? Has Linux really been tested by your average user with a program as large and demanding as Solidworks?

Can you blame companies for being slow to support Linux? How many distros can you name? How many versions have there been in the last 2 or 3 years of each one, and how many times has the kernel changed? Sure, it is only getting better, but you have two options: Code for backwards compatability (which is why Windows supports everything, but has a reputation for being slow and buggy), or forget about backwards compatability altogether.

At any rate, there is still two very different markets here. There are the users who like to have control over their desktop (which I would consider myself a part of too...don't get me wrong), and the *typical* user who wants to do nothing but run Kazaa and its ilk and play Doom III; or those in the corporate world who roll out software for, or simply use the computer for everyday tasks, but have IT departments who have to administer thousands of workstations. I don't think they are very interested in recompiling a kernel and distributing it across thousands of computers...

Reply to
Markus Wankus

I certainly don't recall GM having such problems with Unigraphics on either Sun or HP UNIX platforms unless there was a hard drive failure or bad cable or similar.

Does SW have a "certification" system in place for hardware & the OS?

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

The have a list of 'approved' video cards. However, they haven't provided any details on the tests used to grant 'approved' status. We should just take their word for it.

Jim S.

Reply to
Jim Sculley

Yah, on the server side I see the point of linux :) Althought I would require a course to set it up nicely, it seems to be the standard for a no problemos network.

and you remind me I forgot to say that the default gnome file browser do crashes here and there. ohhhhh 8O

I'm still waiting to talk with my guru about my future with this LInux trial, on issues like > my printer, my scanner, my digital cam, my video cam, my firewire drive? how do I get them alive?

maybe I should try OS/2 warp next? ;)

or get an Amiga emulator... hummm that would be sweet. >the only OS that never crashed on me<

Dom

Markus Wankus wrote:

Reply to
Flipper

AHHHHH!!!!

C'mon - you never had a "Software Failure - Guru Meditation" on your Amiga? Usually happened when I tried to run an unsuccessfully copied game...

Ahh...the memories....

BTW - there are tons of Amiga emulators that work *very* well out there. Check out WinUAE -

-- Markus

Reply to
Markus Wankus

If you look at the changes and look at Catia you see a lot in common. Take in mind that catia came from Unix the knowlegde of porting should be availible. Of course the latest catia version was for MS.

keep asking for a linux version.

btw have you tried the upload function from de beta problem report with a no microsoft browser? Mozilla didn't work with me.

Johnny

Reply to
Johnny Geling

for those of you who are interested M$ are now running courses on how to effectively compete with linux

Richard Bartlett

Only for the real brave, you have to sign for a MS Passport...

"Richard Bartlett" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@freenews.iinet.net.au...

Reply to
Jean Marc BRUN

had a couple over the weekend. :~)>

no hard feelings... it's all in fun!

Reply to
bob zee

If you're looking for a 2D & 3D CAD package that actually runs on LINUX, go check out

They have a version for several different distros. It's not free, but they have a free trial download file and it's only 7.5 to 8.5 Mb's. They also have a Viewer and a Tutorial for download.

I know it's not Solisworks, but it's worth checking out to see what it would be like to use a 3D CAD package in LINUX.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Charney

Richard Charney quipped:

i looked at that briefly a while ago, and really didn't care for it too much.

-nick e.

Reply to
Nick E.

Well, I just wasted a couple of days (more than two, less than three, so far...) giving my computer a new mother board and upgrading from Win2K to XP. We finally gave up on the upgrade and did a new install of XP.

It's a computer. It's going to screw with your mind. It's going to seduce you and then leave you crying. It's the nature of the beast.

Jerry Steiger

Reply to
Jerry Steiger