cad under Linux

I know some people use CAD programs here to design stuff before they build it. Does anyone do so under Linux and, if so, what CAD software do they use that runs under Linux? I'm particularly interested in free software.

Reply to
Allan Adler

Allan Adler wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nestle.csail.mit.edu:

Have you searched SourceForge ?

There should be some open source Cad software out there for *nix. I haven't installed any, as my *nix box is not really fast enough to run it properly (PII 450/384 RAM). I use AutoCad2002 on my windows machine because I have a license for it from work. (Soon to be Inventor..YaY!....3D work in 2002 is a PITA...or rather...the 3D work isn't so bad, it's the going from 3D to the 2D that's a PITA, whereas Inventor will do that for you from the solid model.)

Reply to
Anthony

Last time I looked was over a year ago. There wasn't much.

We still have enough on the windows side that I use Autosketch there, which I like a lot.

Steve Smith

Allan Adler wrote:

Reply to
Steve Smith

While not really a CAD program, I find Sodipodi works well for 2D diagrams, and I use it to draw circuits under Linux.

For 3D design on Linux, POVray is a really nice CSG raytracer. You need to learn the scene description language, but after that it becomes very easy to model complex things. You don't even need mouse skills.

Reply to
Cyrus

One nice *non*-free one is VariCAD. I've got an older version on my linux box (the same box that runs EMC, FWIW). All of my other boxen are either Sun's Solaris, or OpenBSD.

There are a few open-source (and free) CAD packages. But I haven't had time to really play with those, yet.

What I would *really* love to find is a good CAM package, which can take the output of the CAD and convert it to G-code targeted for differing machines.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Thanks, I now have them.

Reply to
Allan Adler

See Phrostie's CAD-Tastrafy site at .

Reply to
Steve Dunbar

Look at Source Forge under artificial intelligence.

(Don't ask me, I didn't put it there.)

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker