Linux CAD

I would like to hear some recommendations on Linux CAD software. Something simple to use etc. Thanks.

Ignoramus1582

By the strict definition of "CAD" I use xfig. Today it might be referred to more as a simple vector drawing program, but it's been around a LONG time, which for some people is a good thing, and for others, not so good, especially if they're accustomed to the Windoze way of doing things, or even the KDE/GNOME ways.

It's small, lightning fast (it used to even be pretty speedy on an AMD K5-75 w/8MB RAM), and I'm used to it. ;-)

About:

Download: Most likely your distribution will have it all packaged up for you. Otherwise,
Never tried them, but some others packaged up for my OS that look interesting, and might be worth the download:
And one to buy:
available for download)

Reply to
Steve Ackman

Greetings,

Sorry, this isn't a recommendation, just some (possible) pointers. If you're looking for an industrial-grade, commercial 2d/3d CAD program, you might want to check out Varicad

Note that the price will increase from approximately. $499 to $650 (prices without support contract) on Feb. 26, 2007. (N.B. The program is also available for Windoze 2K - Vista.)

Also possibly interesting, but not for you (Windows and/or Mac only ;-) are the Concepts2d/3d/Unlimited

and the soon to be released low cost (and spiffy???) ViaCad 2d/3d CAD program

And then there's my current CAD program: DesignCAD 3D MAX 14. It's Windows 95 compatible; perhaps it will run under WINE? A surplus copy will cost you less then $20 bucks (if you can find it).

Happy shopping!

Cordially, Richard Kanarek

Not affiliated with any of the companies mentioned above.

Reply to
Richard Kanarek

Iggy, it cannot be both competent/feature rich AND simple to use. Any decent CAD package has a pretty steep learning curve.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I use AutoCAD 2000 under wine on the current version of Ubuntu.

Ron Thompson On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA

My hobby pages are here:
Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
The member map is here:

Ron Thompson

I think that I would like to start with something "simple" even if it is not feature rich. I can learn something else later.

Ignoramus18341

Perhaps, but it sure as heck doesn't have to be near as bad as Autocad. Solidworks is probably an order of magnitude more powerful and yet is easier to learn.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

For 2D QCad still have their free version floating around. Not bad, not great. Similar to autocad in terms of the command line interface it accepts. My main frustration with it is you can't activate more than 1 style of snap-to.

Reply to
marc.britten

This sounds good in theory, but the problem is, the interfaces and commands are too different for an easy upgrade. It's more like unlearning one CAD program to learn another.

An intro to cad course at the local college is well worth the time and expense. It was all I needed for the stuff I draw.

Tutorials help a lot, even if you are drawing dumb stuff.

Ron Thompson On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA

My hobby pages are here:
Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
The member map is here:

Ron Thompson

To the OP:

Hello again.

I apologize for not noticing the "Something simple to use etc" comment in your post. None of my previous suggestions qualifies as "simple to use", except in comparison to more difficult programs. Sorry.

Surely, DeltaCAD

is the only CAD program that qualifies as easy to use? Whether it runs under Linux (via WINE) is a question I shall leave as an exercise to the reader.

Reply to
Richard Kanarek

The commercial version is much much better! And cheap.

Jukkis

Reply to
JP Sipponen