[linux] Geeks

I know there are a lot of linux geeks (massively cheapo) on rmr, many of which are lurkers.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Thanks...

A few people in the local Linux groups, here in Austin, have been tinkering with the very same thing, recently.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

You are welcome.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Actually theres been a mac port of linux for quite some time. But all my mac buds say this OSX thingy is the bomb since it's based on BSD and what not. It's only a matter of time(and funds) before I score one of those mini's(the mac and the car).

What's really a good technical erection is that there are many ports of linux for the ipaq pocket pc. Yet another digi device that's on my wish list.

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

The Mac Mini is neither massive nor cheapo.

I know some people do install Linux on Macs, but I've never understood why. MacOS is a similar ULOS (Unix-like operating system), but it is much better than Linux of whatever flavour. You can get most Linux software to run on it too.

If you really want Linux in a Mini perhaps you should put a PC in it ...

BTW I have written *BSD-based bootable CD's for Macs for security reasons, and I am planning a bootable Linux-based CD for Macs too, for the same reasons, so please don't think I am any kind of Mac/Linux zealot. If there is a reason, go to it. I just don't see the reason ...

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

I wold think it makes more sense to use the native OS and just use linux or *nix resources to the extent any are actually missing from OSX. Probably not many examples of that.

And it is the geeks themselves that are "massively cheap" not necessarily the equipment.

Yes Intel based equipment is now a commodity, but for the now very slight premium of a Mac you get hardware made to a higher quality standard, a truly integrated experience, and the hard to measure "cool factor".

It probably helps in ways one cannnot predict, that a kid can sit right down and begin using it too.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I'm curious - why do you consider people who want to use Linux 'massively cheap'...? Don't you think that there MAY be other reasons, besides price, that drives them to us it? Maybe they like to tinker with OS code, to see if they can improve on what's been done. Maybe they're *learning* how to write their own code, and want to experiment. You can't *do* these things with OSX or WinDoze, since the source code isn't available to examine and alter.

I like to build my own computers from components - does that make me cheap as well...? ;-)

Reply to
Len Lekx

  1. Runs on the "cheapest" of commodity hardware.
  2. The OS is free or nearly free.
  3. The "applications" are free or open or nearly free.

I agree tinkering is a major factor. Maybe the main one.

Yes :)

Jerry

Some people like to reload motors too (random on-topic rocket comment)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

You haven't seen how much I spend on my computers, then...

And they're not 'cheap', either - they're learning by doing.

There ARE those of us who like to 'Think Inside the Box' - understanding how things operate the way they do is a key part of the innovation process. After all, if you don't know how something works, how can you improve on it? ;-)

Reply to
Len Lekx

Point.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Hmmm.... kinda sounds like the soap commercials from the late 60's, "You get a free tumbler in every box of Duz!"

Maybe that's why Duz went out of business. ; )

Randy

<randyolb

rmr rule #3 Don't try to understand Jerry's logic.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Since when do rmr and 'logic' *ever* coincide...? :-P

Reply to
Len Lekx

Last time that happened Jerry was on vacation. Could that have been a coincidence?

Reply to
Phil Stein

Point

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

That certainly seems to be one of your objectives.

Reply to
Phil Stein

I'd rather have Linux on the Ipod.

BlueNinja