export to vda file.

Hi,

I need to export a stl/proe file into .vda file format. At my university we have access to proe wildfire.

However, when I choose `save as` in the `file` menu, I only get a 2 kb file which seems to only be the header... Can you reproduce this error, because I get error mistakes after importing the file and ofcourse an stl file of about 100 kb cant be exported to a 2 kb file and still have the same data in it...

Who can help?

Med venlig hilsen / Best regards Martin Jørgensen

Reply to
Martin Jørgensen

It's hard to tell, from what you ask, what you are doing or trying to do. VDA? STL? What are you trying to save? Both are available in the 'Save as...' list. I can save a part as easily in the one as the other. Maybe you're not trying to save a solid (STL for sure won't facet a surface file). Don't know about VDA, but I can export and import a solid part to VDA just fine. Need more details (couldn't be less, you said almost nothing about your problem, like you're getting better marks for saying less). Don't worry about rattling on, this NG is not burdened with a lot of overly chatty people. If anything, people seem to think they can drop half a dozen words on us and we'll guess the rest. Sorry to say, we're neither mind readers nor dentists: we may occasionally give the impression of reading minds by making intuitive/educated guesses, but no one here enjoys pulling teeth (or dragging basic information out of people as if we were).

If your questions are worth answering, they are worth putting some effort into explaining your problem, clearly and completely. And, if you don't see the value in making that effort, why would you be surprised when no one sees the value in making the effort to reply.

Reply to
David Janes

I think what he is trying to do is to export an STL file (MESH) in VDA format (NURBS/SOLIDS).

Thats the problem I think. The mesh is not being exported. Just to try... you can model something, anything, and try to export the STL mesh and the model. If I am right just the model will export.

It has to be something with the file formats and incompatibility.

Reply to
sebastian.garillo

Hi, thanks for the answer.

Ok, in contrast to you, I'm not planning to write a big novel about how I import an stl file and then move my mouse cursor to the file menu, where I choose to export the file "save a copy" as a .VDA file. This is already mentioned in the subject line of this thread, so I don't understand if this should be difficult to understand.

It seems like youre not able to reproduce this error, and you dont write it but I assume your vda file is bigger than only containing the header information, +2 kb. Therefore, let me hear if you can convert this stl file and if you can convert it to .vda then I would really like to know how.

After I opening the file, I choose "save a copy", choose VDA file format, and I see some possibilies, checkboxes to be marked or unmarked:

1) Export as wirefram edge 2) Surfaces 3) Datum curves and points 4) Customize layers... 5) Quilts all... All... 6) Coordinate system, default.

If I choose "options" then ProTable opens op empty.

If I choose "ok" I only get a 2 kb .vda file. Was that enough information for you or do you want me to write a novel about this topic :-)

Med venlig hilsen / Best regards Martin Jørgensen

Reply to
Martin Jørgensen

However, if I draw a box or simple geometries myself I can see that I can actually do a 7 kb .vda file. The problem is the conversion from my .stl file which should be exported to .vda.

Might be that .vda is not good apropriate dealing with curvatures?

If its not possible, I would like an explanation?

Med venlig hilsen / Best regards Martin Jørgensen

Reply to
Martin Jørgensen

I don't think you can export STL to VDA. I get the same result you get. You need to start with the origianl file or an IGS file.

Reply to
Dave Ignaczak

-snip-

How come?

I assume I can't open the .stl file and save it as an iges and then export it to .vda, can I?

I just don't understand what all those information in that about 100 kb .stl file is doing there if it's not information about the geometry and since Pro/e knows .vda I don't understand why it just can't "translate" that information and save it?

The geometry looks *completely* fine to me, when I open it...

I assume pro/E can do the conversion from the original pro/E .part file then - or would that also be a problem?

Med venlig hilsen / Best regards Martin Jørgensen

Reply to
Martin Jørgensen

Martin,

The STL file is faceted to create a rough shape for prototyping. Unlike the STL, the VDA (like IGS) does not break up surfaces into small triangles.

Exporting from an STL would not give you a good useable file like VDA or IGS. But I would agree that if you want to do it, you should be able to.

Even tho you can shade the STL file it is not really solid. So that's why Pro/E won't export it to VDA or IGS.

If you just want a VDA file to bring up and look at here's a way to do it ...

  1. Import the STL file and save it as a Part file.
  2. Export that Part as a Shrinkwrap file. In the "create shrinkwrap" menu that pops up, select "faceted surface" and select the part. The higher the quality you pick (1 - 10) the "smoother" it will look. But the file could end up being huge depending on the number of facets in the STL file. Start with 1 and see what you get. You're basically faceting an already faceted surface.
  3. Open the Shrinkwrap file and export it as VDA.
  4. Then you can bring up the VDA.

Hopefully this is good enough for what you need at this point. If not you need to start with a Part or IGS file. Something with non-faceted surfaces.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Ignaczak

-snip-

Hey, thanks a lot for the comments and description of what to do... I would never have figured that out. I now got myself a 313 kb VDA file, although it's uglier than before.

Also, I still have problems importing the vda file (I get error and the program crashes) but this might not be a pro/e issue at all.