how to convert point cloud to solid object in AUTOCAD?

Hi, Anyone can help me? I have a data file about my face. It is a txt file which only includes X Y Z position data. I can import it into AUTOCAD and see the face. However, It is only a point cloud. I want to convert it into surface and then a solid model. This is interesting because once I get the solid model, I can export a stl file for Rapid prototyping and make something interesting. Does anyone know how to convert point cloud to solid object in AUTOCAD? Thank you very much.

Reply to
flint2001

Dear flint2001:

Google Advanced Autocad script "point cloud"

15,100 appropriate hits

You could attempt to connect each point with two other unconnected points, and make a sheet of triangles (as 3D surfaces)...

Reverse engineering something, are we?

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

Thank you very much. I tried point cloud plug-in for AUTOCAD. Later on, I use another kind of software to convert the data file into dwg file. Also, I can make these points a mesh surface in autocad. The problem is I don't know how to make it a solid model only which can be transfer to stl file. You are right. This is a small project of reverse engineering. Thank you again

Kevin

Reply to
flint2001

How many points are contained within your point cloud? Unless the number of points is fairly small (less than 1,000), I doubt that AutoCAD is the appropriate tool for your project. Do you have access to any other CAD tools - preferably solid modeling or surfacing tools?

Reply to
John Eric Voltin

I think you'll need to give the surface some small thickness to make it a solid, like extruding the surface 1e-6 or something. There might be a way to offset the surface by a thickness.

Those are general suggestions. I'm not familiar enough the newer AutoCAD versions with solid modeling to give specifics.

Reply to
Jeff Finlayson

Dear flint2001:

Go to Autodesk:

?siteID=123112&id=2888244&linkID=4183228
the fourth of a four part training session (may be too basic for your needs)
command list, looks like the faces might be converted by

3DFACE, and the 3D faces made into a solid by SOLID?

Good luck.

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)