How to input point cloud data into Pro-E?

Hi there, I just want to know how to input point cloud data that is gathered using CMM(Coordinate measuring) into Pro-E to generate surface. Thanks in advance. Shankar.

Reply to
Shankar Venkateswaran

Use Scan Tools from the Advanced Surface Extension module. Geometry >

Sample Data From File lets you import point cloud data from a text file generated by a CMM.

Marcel

Reply to
Marcel Lemmen

Hi, The version of Pro-E I have is Eduacation Version 2001. I couldn't proceed further with Advanced surface Extension module. Please help. Thanks, Shankar.

Reply to
Shankar Venkateswaran

: > Sample Data From File lets you import point cloud data from a text : > file generated by a CMM.

First, check 'Help>Support info' to see a list of the modules included with your educational version. The whole discussion is worthless if you don't have Pro/SCAN-TOOLS in the list of locked node licenses. I don't think floating licenses come with the educational version.

Second, get acquainted with the rest of help, specifically, 'Help>Help center>Global search'. Double arrow all the modules to the right side of the modules to search list and type the phrase at the top, 'scan tools' (no quote marks) and search. There is nothing here that is the equivalent of a tutorial, but it gives the basics on what scan tools are and how they work

Third, speaking of tutorials, every educational license comes with a pile of courses, every one that PTC has developed, in fact. They are available usually in PDF format or possibly as bound manuals with example parts. I'm not sure what Scan Tools is under, possibly a reverse engineering/cmm/laser scanning class. You should take it; no way, we, here are going to give you the equivalent of a course in manipulating point cloud data. Especially not when you have resources we can't even get out hands on.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Hi, I have Proe/Scan-Tool in my research system at school. But I don;t have any user manual. Cheers Shankar.

Reply to
Shankar Venkateswaran

Excellent, good start. Now, do you have an educational license? That 'Help>Support info' will tell you. This will determine wether you should have gotten course training material. If you didn't set the system up, you probably wouldn't know if you got any books. You may have to track this stuff down. Talk to the sysadmin or the instructor in charge of the program. Also, since more of their training material is being distributed as PDFs, have someone do a search for those and for many directories of .prt files. If you can find them, you've got yourself the keys to answering all your questions.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Hi, My school has got training material in HTML format. But I am not able to locate Geometry. Thanks david for your continuous effort. Cheers, Shankar.

Reply to
Shankar Venkateswaran

Okay, process of elimination. Files in html format are proe help files. Those are the files it reads when you select a help topic. Everyone gets those. Main question is: Do you have an educational license? Everything hinges on this. Then there will be a CD somewhere with the training files and pdfs on it. Those will have to be copied to student directories.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Hi there, For inputting point cloud data I went for offset csys>sel coordinate system>Cartesian>edit points which worked for my problem. Shankar

Reply to
Shankar Venkateswaran