reverse engineering extensions

I'm trying to solidify a faceted model. What I can't get accomplished is the "closed manifold" operation. The model's thousands of facets appear in order as best I can tell.

Does anyone know a good way to find errors in the facet model that would prevent it from being a closed manifold?

Thanks

Reply to
Robert

Is the facet model magenta-colored with one or more yellow edges by any chance? If so, then you would have to manually repair the surface quilt geometry in order to solidify it.

I don't know of a method for generating point cloud data points from an existing facet model. Of course that doesn't mean it can't be accomplished. I'm just not aware of this particular functionality with Pro/SCAN_TOOLS, Pro/VERIFY, Pro/CMM or Pro/REX(Reverse Engineering Extension).

Regards,

Ron

Reply to
Ron M.

I'm personally not familiar with a ProE way to fix the quilt but we definitely have other tools that can do it beyond ProE such as PolyWorks, Imageware, and Geomagic. If you can't get it done elsewise, I can take a look at it for you.

Michael

Direct Dimensions, Inc.

accomplished.

Reply to
dirdim

To patch up the surface quilt feature in Pro/E, you would need either the Pro/SURFACE or ISDX(also for surfacing) module included in your session of Pro/E. You could create a Surface feature using boundary curves/edges and then Merge this surface to the existing surface quilt. From there you should be able to add a Solidify feature in order to end up with a 3-D solid model. If you choose to use ISDX functionality, then the surface feature type will be called a Style feature.

Ron

Reply to
Ron M.

A facetted model behaves differently. Not at all like a pro surface model. I think I've corrected the model. It now accepts a full 'automatic surfacing'. It still however won't solidify.

Reply to
Robert

When the model isn't shaded, what color is your geometry now? Did you use the Wrap functionality that Pro/REX offers to generate your faceted model from the point cloud data? In your Model Tree, do you have a feature type called Facet Feature by any chance? Just curious.

Recently I've worked with .stl, .vda and .pts files to generate Pro/E models based upon CMM part scan data. Most of these techniques worked out pretty well, except one of the .pts files was so huge that Pro/REX couldn't generate a faceted model from it using the Wrap functionality. The .pts file contained almost 4 million points. I did reduce the number of points some using the Reduce Noise functionality coupled with two other commands--before attempting to use Wrap.

Ron M.

Reply to
Ron M.