Reverse Engineering Ext - WF2

Hi,
Does anyone know a way, preferrably through wf2, to change point cloud data
numbers to reference a different csys? Easily done with datum points.
I have point cloud whos origin I'd like to move.
Thanks
Reply to
Robert
I suppose you could create an offset csys, use it to generate a transformation matrix and then use those values to change the x, y, z values of each point. Sounds like a programming job and AFAIK Pro/e doesn't mess with reprocessing ibl data, chiefly, especially in REX, because it's not concerned with that data or those points but with the surface you create from the data.
You could EFFECTIVELY move the csys in a couple ways * Produce the surface at the default csys then Copy>Transform the surface to the new csys location * Create an offset csys before importing the points to produce the surface, then pick your new offset csys instead of the default when you create the surface.
After you have the new surface moved to the desired location, maybe you could generate a new ibl file. I don't know all the internal capabilities of REX. Something to look into if you're really serious about getting the ibl data with a transformed csys.
Reply to
David Janes
Assuming your point cloud is 'dumb geometry' why not create your new co-ordinate system, then export the points relative to that. When you re-import it, it will be relative to your new zero point with no legacy data in the file.
Reply to
John Wade
As far as I can tell, there is no mechanism to save the point cloud relative to a new csys. I can save it and can enter a filename only.
Reply to
Robert
can you not export it to iges, referencing a new csys?
Reply to
John Wade
'save a copy' is not available at that point. Under the 'Points' pulldown is 'save' which has no csys option.
Reply to
Robert
file - save a copy - iges
then select the co-ordinate system you want to shift the points to reference
Reply to
John Wade
Save a copy isn't available at that point.
Reply to
Robert
If "at that point" means you are not in Standard Application mode, you might want to try it from there. That's how you'd do a "regular" import feature datum point array.
Reply to
Jeff Howard
If the part isn't super-secret, mail me a copy & I'll have a look.
john at wade dot org dot uk
Reply to
John Wade
The file is 36 megs with over a meg of points.
Reply to
Robert
These are not your typical points. They don't carry parametric info. There are over a million of them. The 'insert data from file' along with having the RE Extensions automatically put Pro into the rex mode.
I don't think one could handle a million points thru standard point features.
Reply to
Robert
Not talking about point features. If you read the data in and end up with an import feature point array you should be able to export the data referencing any coordinate system you chose. If it were me, I'd create a small data set and figure it out.
These are not your typical points. They don't carry parametric info. There are over a million of them. The 'insert data from file' along with having the RE Extensions automatically put Pro into the rex mode.
I don't think one could handle a million points thru standard point features.
Reply to
Jeff Howard
"read the data in and end up with an import feature point array you should be able to export the data referencing any coordinate system you chose"
If I insert from file an iges point file I get an import feature. How do I export that? Any other type of point file (pts, ibl, vtx) imports to point & faceting tools. During point manipulation I can save the point data but only to pts or vtx files with no csys option.
I've created an import feature consisting of points fr
Reply to
Robert
That should be as simple as creating the desired csys, Save a Copy, select Datum Curves and Points, select the desired csys (from Standard Application mode). I'm not sure how much good this'll do you. I just tried to read a million point IGES and couldn't. I'm using a pretty old machine with only 3/4 GB RAM. The million point IGES is huge; about 237 MB.
"During point manipulation": I don't have REX and am probably not understanding what you are dealing with after import.
For what it might be worth: Using WF2 Foundation I can create an Independant Geometry feature and read a million point *.ibl or *.pts (about 12 MB) into it. It asks me to specify a csys to use for import reference. This creates a set of curves from the data rather than a point array, though, and beyond that I'm lost. Sorry, probably not much help...
Reply to
Jeff Howard
Do you really need all the points? Geomagic has a pointcloud decimator which may help you rip this back to something more manageable.
Reply to
John Wade