Urgent Help : Reconstruction of surfaces using in point cloud

Hi all,

Does anybody has an idea on how to reconstruct a free form surface in ProE when a low density point cloud is given? (point cloud in x,y,z, format)

I has some limitations on that that I cannot use a *.ibl file.

Also i tried following

  1. Used Independent geometry but could not always create curves through the points bcoz the points are randomly distributed across the domain

  1. Also i tried Facets creation..Well that was sucessa little bit .. but could not use that as surface for boudaries for my Protrusion object. ProE does not recognise it as an surface

  2. Tried Restyle..could not always get the shape i needed ..because after faceting the point cloud, I used restyle.. but it was not able to create surface by making use of whole facet.. I am able to create surfaces only on a small portion on facet.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
bluemind

Sorry, i've never had this kind of point data to deal with so I've never been able to try it. So, I did the next best thing: I searched Surfacing Help for "point cloud" and found a bunch of stuff suggesting that the faceted surface could be used to create conventional datum geometry and as point references for creating curves thru points. Anyway, it describes the workflow, sketches the procedures. But, from the little that's there, it looks like you've just scratched the surface, lots more work to do. I've wanted to get into this reverse engineering stuff for a while but I'd hesitate to tackle it without taking a course or at least going through some tutorials and that kind of guidance is precisely what seems the hardest to find.

Reply to
David Janes