Handling point clouds in ProE

Hi, I wonder if there is a good/easy way to handle point clouds in ProE. Are there other good, maybe better than ProE, to do this. I've read something about a Reverse Engineering Extension on ProE's site but didn't find that much information..

I haven't seen the data yet so I don't know if the points are grouped in any particular way or if they are in some special file format.

regards Bjorn

Reply to
Bjorn Ljungdahl

Hi Bjorn,

Pro/scantools is an add on in proe to handle point cloud data. I found it quite handy and I am able to create curves and surfaces quickly. Imageware in Ideas is supposed to be very good for point cloud data and reverse engineering.

kav

Bjorn Ljungdahl wrote:

Reply to
ksbawa

The Reverse Engineering Extension for Pro/E (REX) was developed from Raindrop GeoMagic and should be a very powerful tool for handling point clouds and performing reverse engineering tasks. Although I have used an evaluation license and seen several demonstrations, I haven't had the opportunity to use it extensively. It has great potential and I hope to work with it at some future time.

I would recommend talking with your local Pro/E provider and asking for a demonstration to evaluate its usefulness for your application.

Otherwise, Raindrop GeoMagic Studio (the basis of Pro/E REX) is a very good tool. It handles point clouds allowing you to extract dimensional information from point clouds and perform an array of reverse engineering tasks.

Reply to
John Eric Voltin

I can only reiterate what John has said about GeoMagic. We use it extensively with our laser scanner and the results are astouding

Producing both complete shells for CFD or FEA meshing or extacting Datum Curves and/or surfaces for use in ProE. I had a little play with a very early ProE Scantools and wasnt very impressed, but I think they have come a long way since then and have included more of the GeoMagic functionality.

Hope that helps Nick

Reply to
Nickoli

If you look back in the history of this forum I asked this same exact question with the same exact answeres maybe from the same people. Any ways they are right with just PROE/Fundementals good luck with geting anything out of your point cloud. My company did not have any of these packages and the amount of reverse engineering we do is little so we did not purchase the extentions. Instead I had an Intern spline the points together, then creat control curves and we did a surface sweep to creat our surface, I then had him create measurements from each point to the surface, Very Time consuming I didn't do the math but it might have been cheaper to buy REX. Good Luck

Reply to
shaun

We use the REX extension and its good - but like any software handling point clouds, the results are dictated by the form and quality of the data you throw at it.

If you go to

and look at the level3 modelling section of my CAD/CAM teaching pages there is an overview of the REX process and capabilities

Reply to
Sean Kerslake

Thank you all for this information. I will see which way I go. I would be nice to have it all integrated in ProE so I think I will examine those posibilities first.

regards Bjorn

Reply to
Bjorn Ljungdahl

The thing that's integrated into Pro/e is a thing called 'Restyle'. And supposedly it can handle point clouds as it is based on a simplified version of Raindrop GeoMagic, the toolbox that does Pro/SCANTOOLS.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes