point cloud data from facetted model

Is it possible to generate point cloud data from a facet feature?

Reply to
Robert

I'm interested to know why you'd want to?

Sean

Reply to
Sean Kerslake

I haven't done this, but in theory it can be quite easy. Facet features are usually created from a file containing tesselated geometry (VRML, STL, 3D DXF). A tesselation file usually contains a list of points (x,y,z), followed by a list of triangles that connects those points. When the tesellation file is in text format, you can simply open it in a text editor and delete everything but the points data.

Other tessellation files don't have a separate list of points, instead it just defines a triangle as 3 points with their x/y/z data. In that case, if you managed to cut out the points data your resulting point cloud would include many repeated points. I'm not sure how that affects what you want to do with it, but it's something to be aware of.

Dave

Reply to
dgeesaman