Converting IGS to Drawing

I received a file from a company in .igs format. Yet to find out, it originally was an autocad drawing exported into a 3D environment. Now, I only have the .igs files, and I was wondering if there is any possible way I can convert this into a 2D format so I can run the DWG wizard ... the company supplied suffiecient data to run the wizard. Thank you for your help, its much needed!!

Kyle from Kalamazoo

Reply to
cae_kyle

What happens if you just plain try to open it - what do you get?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

When I open it, it gives me 2D (Title Block and 2D lines..etc) into a

3D World environment...I would somehow like to get this 3D (2D Drawing) .igs file into straight 2D, ie. DWG, or DXF...
Reply to
cae_kyle

SW does not work well with IGES drawings even though this standard has been around for many years. When you import it you might get enough information in the form of a 3D sketch to find out something about the drawing but it is by no means pretty.

Reply to
TOP

.googlegroups.com...

As you are discovering, SolidWorks does not support 2-d iges files. I get around this by keeping an installation of Cadkey on one of my old computers. When I get a file like yours, I import it to Cadkey and then export a dwg and open in SW. This almost always works.

So what you need to do is find somebody that has an application that can import 2-d iges.

SW will never support this sort of file. I never understood why. I think it is because they are so totally focussed on 3-d that they cannot be bothered. If you look at the way they have bungled their own 2-d environment (drawing mode), you start to get the feeling that SW is less than totally commited to drawings and wish they would just go away.

Good Luck,

jk

Reply to
jk

Nor does Autocad.

Not sure Kyle know what he has. :)

Reply to
remy martin

John, I am not looking at the rest of this thread but I have done these sorts of translations in the past, recently even, for contributors to this group. I do not use SW but you would be surprised how much there is that translates between products in terms of how to approach things. Many of the "goofyisms" you discuss here at length appear in competing products. I also have no interesting in selling any of you modeling software - DSS has ruined the lot of you. Well JK, maybe you would be an exception, The Vero mold and progressive die design product would be just the ticket for you but we have spoken and I think it's fair to say I have not bugged, or even really pursued you. In this I may have been negligent but it just isn't that important to me.

If I can get the file from the OP I would be glad to do what I can.

Reply to
J. R. Carroll

"Many of the "goofyisms" you discuss here at length appear in competing products."

Yes, indeed. I have a lot of time invested in my mold design library. It would take a lot to entice me to switch software at this point-despite my occasional rants against SW. Factor in the fact that anything else would cost more and still have the goofyisms you refer to and the incentive just isn't there.

(I still wish SW supported 2-d Iges, but it's a real minor matter at this point. I have much bigger problems than that............)

jk

Reply to
jk

Hmm,...It's not clear to me so, since it seems to be coming into the sldprt, are the entities a 2D Sketch or a 3DSketch? If they are 2D sketch entites, then you should be able to cut/paste that into a slddrw? Or, use the sketch plane or if you can get the normal view of the

3DSketch, then open a slddrw and use the view for the orthographic view (turn on the sketch for that view)? Also, if it's a 3DSketch, and you want to convert it to 2D, get into a normal view of the 3DSketch or create a plane normal to and start a sketch and convert the 3D entities into 2D entites (then break the relations or cut/paste into another sketch)?

There are a handfull of ways to do this and if you have another program which support iges 2d, such as Rhino3D or Acad (w/iges import), then you can import/export/import. and, honestly, I rarely get 2D iges but there are files out there on the web still!? (old cadkey users?)

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

I still get IGES drawing translations from UG and Catia, fwiw.

Reply to
Jeff Howard

Actually I was thinking about TopSolid when I came up with that. Vero is surprisingly stable. It could be that I just know it better but my new users don't crash VISI and with TopSolid, like SW, you have to know how to use it in ways that keep harmony in the universe or you will be back to the desktop in an eye blink. Maybe it's a French thing.

Reply to
J. R. Carroll

Can you open it in Rhino3D? - you can then save it out as DWG for Solidworks. There's a demo version available to try at

cae_kyle wrote:

Reply to
Deri Jones

When I open it in Rhino 3D, it gives me 4 entities, which have no relation to what I am doing at all...no luck so far

Reply to
cae_kyle

So, you represent the gal with the boxing gloves now. I never quite understood that ad. Plus it came out before MillionDollarBaby. Visi must be truly visionary.

jk

Reply to
jk

Advertising is always intended to appeal to the emotions and avoid any unpleasant entanglements with analytical processes. 8~)

Reply to
Jeff Howard

Try downloading the VX demo - you can work OK in that and they claim to be good with IGES files import and from what I've seen so far might do the job....... (at this point a cloud of furies (and possibly JB) will descend upon my head for mentioning the words VX....) The 2D IGES file I created in Rhino (polyline, spline, circle) imported fine and exported OK to DWG format from VX and imported to SW without problems.

Reply to
Deri Jones

thank you all for everything, but a few days back i requested the original 2d drawings, and now the company has finally gotten back with me :)

Reply to
cae_kyle

John, I have been involved with the Vero line since '96 and in 2001 and 2002 MSSI, my company, was their largest North American reseller .We took added Missler Software line to get a Turning and Mill/Turn product line and I never demoed a single mold customer, at least not for mold or die design. If you think about it you will recall that I was going to send you up some info and a CD. It is still here somewhere. As for Angie, I still have all of the original digital images from the photo shoot and she remains part of what we publish in California as a reseller and what Vero publishes in North America. It was done in the US to "Americanize" the print add campaign. As far as I know Angie is still working at the Clark station in Mt. Morris Illinois.

Reply to
J. R. Carroll