Re: Converting a file form Form-Z

> Hello All, > I currently need to convert a file created in the software Form-Z ( >
). Up to now I didn't even know this software existed. > > The people I am getting the file from will also be sending the file as a > *.dxf file. Being that I have had less then a year at the controls here, I > do not know what to expect when converting this file. > Does anyone know how to convert one of these files (*.fmz). to soldworks? Or > is it better just to go with the *.dfx conversion?? > > We are using SW2003 SP4, Win2K Pro. > > We will be upgrading to SW2004 as soon as our VAR ships us the disks. (can't > be bothered with the download). Any ideas if this file type might be handled > in 2004?? > > Thanks in advance, > Kevin Scheeringa > > Project Coordinator > R&R Woodwork Inc. > > >

Is the *.dxf 2D or 3D?

2D *.dxf import is supported very well in SWX, but you only get 2D sketches or drawings and no solid geometry (duh).

3D *.dxf files are much more limited both in themselves and in SWX import. I have heard some *.dxf files contain 3d data in acis format. If so, SWX may be able to import a solid body (not certain of any of this though).

Can this Form-Z export anything else? Parasolid is the best bet for compatibility. Otherwise, STEP, ACSIS, and IGES are other 3D formats that SWX will handle.

Reply to
Arlin

Kevin,

Have your client send you the files in .SAT (Acis) format. This is a supported export format from FormZ.

2D dxf is useless for conveying a complex 3D shape. 3D dxf isn't supported by SW directly, and doesn't contain any usefull data anyway.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg