Open SW files in Inventor?

I've never used Inventor before, but I'm wondering if you can open SW parts/assemblies/drawings in Inventor. If so, how? I work primarily with SW and have a customer who works primarily in Inventor.

Reply to
cadout

Export as Unigraphics Parasolid, or ACIS format which will get the parts in as dumb solids, and thus no easy editing.

Reply to
Bo

I don't have any experience with this myself, but as it's been an hour and nobody's given a response (maybe all the knowledgeable regulars have taken Good Friday off?) I can at least try and point you in the right direction... here's a recent discussion about this in one of the other forums:

My assumption would have been to use a neutral file format (STEP / IGES / ACIS), but according to that thread (and the Help), SWX can open Inventor files. Either way, as Bo mentioned after I started this post, you wind up with a dumb solid...

-Mark

Reply to
Mark

Oops...I realized right after I posted that I misread your question and you want to go the other way. Good thing someone who knows how to read beat me to answering =).

Reply to
Mark

If you do not mind spending a bit of money PolyTrans by OKino $395 + Cad Translator Pack $245

I've not used it but the application has been around for some time and has always been updated with components for newer CAD packages

Reply to
Nev Williams

Autodesk Inventor will not read native SWX files. You must save in a neutral file format. I suggest STEP, then ACIS (but you must set Options to r7) or IGES. The feature history tree will be lost but the solid editing tools can still be used.

JD Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert Certified SolidWorks Professional

Reply to
mather.jd