Translator for Inventor files?

I'm just wondering whether anyone has run across a cheapware translator that can take Inventor files and output neutral format without actually having Inventor? I've checked out several commercial applications, and they all are WAY out of my range by many thousands of dollars in some cases. I have a client who is transitioning from Inventor to SolidWorks and all of their engineers are so busy it's almost impossible to get them to translate reference assemblies for me -- not that I really want to be bugging them all the time with such requests anyway. I could spend maybe $500, but of course "object is no money", if possible.

Thanks, 'Sporky'

Reply to
Sporkman

Check out PS-Exchange at Delcam.com. Pay-per-use translator. I don't remember if it reads Inventor, though.

Reply to
That70sTick

The only freebie avenue that comes to mind is a trial version; IV, one of a couple of (? Elysium, Transmagic maybe) third party translators. SE is supposed to have a bulk IV translator. If it'll batch translate to STEP then... Native readers for cheap; can't think of any for any system, really.

An off the cuff thought; if they are transitioning out, have idle seats (?) -- talk them into loaning you a seat, a machine with a stand-alone install, ... It might be quasi-legal.

Reply to
Jeff Howard

They might want to dig around for this eventually, anyhow. Somewhere in there is a batch interface for IV that should help them with exports.

Reply to
Jeff Howard

Reply to
Sporkman

Have them send you ACIS (.sat) files.

Reply to
Scott

Reply to
Sporkman

Just FYI; (unless something's changed fairly recently) an ACIS neutral (*.sat,

*.sab) is not a good medium for translating assemblies. The notions of "instance" or "assembly" are not supported. Assembly hierachy is flattened and every part instance is written out as a part definition. Relatively simple assemblies become resource hogs.
Reply to
Jeff Howard

Import the Inventor files into AutoCAD (if available) and export out as SAT, STEP etc....

Kman

Reply to
Kman

Huh?

Reply to
jmather

Just throwing out some ideas to find an inexpensive solution to the problem. It is possible the newer versions of AutoCAD have added the capability to import Inventor models into a workable format or maybe through SW's XchangeWorks. Sporkman was once an AutoCAD user if memory serves and thought this might be a way to accomplish the task. Hope that answers the "Huh?" question.

Kman

Reply to
Kman

Nope. Requires functions you don't get unless you get the Autodesk IntroToCad Sampler, sometimes called AIS.

Reply to
twinkie