PDMWorks for other files

Guys, what are your thoughts on using PDMWorks for other files ? I am thinking we can attemnpt a paperless office by converting all office documents to PDF files and slowly checking them in.

Your thaughts

Giorgis

PS: Is there any non solidworks pointers on PDMWorks and implementing it ?

Reply to
Giorgis

Jeff Mirisola

Jeff,

Can you look at PDMWorks files from within Sharepoint? Or have a link to the Webclient in PDMWorks from Sharepoint? Basically I'm wondering how you made them work together.

Thanks, Daniel

Jeff Mirisola wrote:

Reply to
Daniel

why convert? if you convert to pdf each time changes are made, you will have "different file" from what's in vault. pdf is just a good snapshot.

if you want to truly manage, use native files.

Reply to
kenneth

Reply to
Jeff Mirisola

Ok, then my next question is do you have an automated way to create PDF's from released drawings and move them into a SharePoint vault?

Thanks, Daniel

Jeff Mirisola wrote:

Reply to
Daniel

Because ultimately the PDF file is what the contractor gets (As well as the parasolid Binary) Because all other documents can be converted to PDFs Because everybody can read and make PDFs

You do, but the vault needs adminstration to be effective. Document management need administration to be effective. You do the legwork to keep a system working.

Not realy, I can't create a solidworks drawing of an invoice.

Giorgis

Sharepoint !! This sounds like there's potential. Could you give me some pointers as googling sharepoint seems confusing. It looks like a product with a large scope.

Giorgis

Reply to
Giorgis

quoted text -

Reply to
Jeff Mirisola

Could you give me

Reply to
Jeff Mirisola

? (i don't think you have a clue as to how PDMW functions, let alone what it does.)

?? (this response makes no sense)

revision managed invoice? you've got to be joking! :D

Reply to
kenneth

For me I need a means for everybody to store Documents that are accessable by everybody in a small company. I want to make sure they are searchable by keyword or other means. I want to make sure they cannot be corrupted. You may have definitions on what PDMs are or whatever, good for you. I am a customer with specific needs.

A subset of PDMWorks facilities seems to be able to do it for me. Its not perfect, but seems robust. Sharepoint seems like it has potential, but looks complicated. Typical MS overfeatured product. But that's me having to scale the learnining curve ...

We shall see

Giorgis

Reply to
Giorgis

We use a product called VisualVault for our document and workflow managment. It will probably do what you need and is web-based and very easy to use.

We do not use a PDM system for our SolidWorks files. Those are our working documents. The released documents for manufacturing are the pdf, dwg, etc. If we need a model for the CNC programmers they get a snap shot in time of the model that is linked to the pdf drawing within VisualVault.

Works will for us as a small business that does not want to be a slave to our pdm or document management system. It is flexible enough to allow us to have the right amount of control over all of our data.

Regards,

Anna Wood

Giorgis wrote:

Reply to
Anna Wood

Hi Anna

Interesting link, I'll have to investigate further when I get more time. Not so much for myself but I can see some potential usage for a few of my clients.

Wondering how much the program costs and is the cost per user?

John Layne

John Layne

You would need to contact the VisualVault people on costs. They offer a number of different ways to get the software.

I am pretty sure it is per seat licenses. The costs are very competitive when you compare it to some of the big name document management systems out there.

I believe they have several customers in New Zealand and Australia.

Regards,

Anna

John Layne wrote:

Reply to
Anna Wood

Is SharePoint also included in MS Server 2003 EXPRESS?

Thanks,

Ed

Reply to
Ed