For those who use PDFs as a shop drawing, what interface do you use to get to them?

Im trying to research a fast/easy way for multiple users to access these PDFs. We have about 16,000 drawings in PDF format, and using
Windows Explorer or Windows search to find a file is a PITA.
Anyone know of a webpage type interface that would work well with this?
google desktop?

I think Google Desktop is OK for home use (though Yahoo is better) but there are security issues for commercial data. I've been trying Copernic Desktop at work (it does network drives) and it's great.
I can find a drawing by part number in a couple of seconds.
What I've yet to investigate is whether it's possible to have a central index that all users can access, rather than a separate index being built on each pc.
Regards, John H
You can create one your self using ASP , win2000 server and its indexing services it is not too complicated especially if you have some sort of data base to pull some extra data from.
It is amazing how much time you can save if you can punch part number and have it pop up on the screen instead of walking to the file cabinet, and I'm not going to mention the whole printing and copying issue.

I have a folder "Released_DWG" folder on one of the public drives. Only I have Write excess to it. Every body has read-only excess.
We use "SytleLine" for our ERP system. I have written a program within. It asks for the Drawing# which is exactly same as the Item # in the system. Hit enter and Acrobat runs and opens the PDF.
Singh
PDM Works has a web interface. We use that to allow our production floor to access the pdf files we create. Our Sw users use a full PDM client but we use web access for anyone who only reads drawings. Brad
We're using tif files for our paperless shop project. That said, we use a link in our manufacturing software for people to click on which brings up the attached files.
It's clerical on the front end to attach the files to job routings, but then it's controllable on what people can get to. Helps with rev control issues, etc.
This may be different from your situation, but then, as always, mileage may vary.
Diego
SW Monkey wrote:

I wrote a small .BAT program for viewing word docs. Run the program, it asks for a number, it opens it in Word. I imagine you could do something similar with a PDF file. I also did something similar with VB to view Autocad drawings, same concept.
DT wrote:

Can you post your BAT file, id like to try that out as a temporary way to access these files.
We currently use a PDM system for our SolidWorks files, but chose to keep the PDF files outside PDM system. Manufacturing has a "Paperless" program that will link to the PDF files, but im looking for something that could be used outside of that program. All 16,000 PDFs are in one flat directory.
Heres another question, does everyone using PDFs do rev control on the PDFs as well as the SolidWorks files? We plan on doing this with the PDFs, and we think we have a good idea how, but im curious how others may do this.
@echo off net use x: \\id01sdata2\engineering\shared\LABELS\LOTCARD x: set /p str=Enter Lot Card Number: start /w %str%.doc c: net use x: /delete
The bat file creates a temporary network drive "x:" then deletes it at the end of the code. If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask.
DT
The batch works good. I would like to be able to do something similar with html. Have a field you type the drawing number in, hit submit and have it pull up the pdf file.
Has anyone done this?
Bill wrote:

Yep, thats what im looking for also.
Thanks DT,
BAT files works well. For some reason though, it doesnt delete the temp network drive mapping when I close the PDF after viewing it.
If I enter a part # that doesnt exist, than error message comes up saying invalid file, and the bat file ends, deleting the network drive mapping.
Here is my modified BAT file. Ive never messed around with BAT files much, but what does /p and /w mean? I havent googled it yet, which I probably could find an answer pretty quick.
Question: Rather than typing "end" to end the BAT file, is it possible to end it if the user closes the window? I tried doing this, but it network drive doesnt get deleted, and I get an error the next time I run the BAT file.
--------------------------------------------------------- @echo off net use x: \\NETWORK PATH x:
:BEGIN set /p str=Enter Item Number:
IF EXIST %str%.pdf GOTO RUN
echo Item not found
IF %str% == end GOTO END
GOTO BEGIN
:RUN START /w %str%.pdf
:END
c: net use x: /delete -------------------------------------------
[...]
I'm not sure...The BAT file we use closes after closing the DOC file. Maybe it's a server problem. We're using a Windows Server, what about you? This was my first attempt at using a BAT file in this way. Sorry I can't be of more help to you.
DT wrote:

The BAT file closes just fine if I close the PDF file, I was talking about just closing the BAT file in general.
I can add a IF statement when a user enters "9". that ends the BAT file.
Is there a reason a drive mapping has to take place? Im going to see if I can get this to work with an existing directory path.
<<Is there a reason a drive mapping has to take place?>> I created this last year, I'll see if I can find my notes to why I did this. It may have had something to do with the UNC path. Big help aren't I...LOL!!! Let me know how you fair with the existing path.
DT wrote:

I just found a great program that allowed me to create a GUI to do this.
Check it out, pretty easy to use. If you are interested in the code, let me know.
http://www.autohotkey.com /
Good deal. I'll check it out. I'd like to check out the code too...whenever is convenient for you.