Translator for AutoDesk Inventor files?

I'm just wondering whether anyone has run across a cheapware translator that can take Inventor files and output neutral format without actually having Inventor? I've checked out several commercial applications, and they all are WAY out of my range by many thousands of dollars in some cases. I have a client who is transitioning from Inventor to SolidWorks and all of their engineers are so busy it's almost impossible to get them to translate reference assemblies for me -- not that I really want to be bugging them all the time with such requests anyway. I could spend maybe $500, but of course "object is no money", if possible.

Thanks, Mark 'Sporky' Stapleton Watermark Design, LLC

Sporkman

Here's a non-responsive answer.....I started browsing google - and came across a demo of a photo image pair to 3d renderer.

Easiest with boxy objects, which it textures with photo texture, and will rotate in space as desired. Highly cool, but the for sale item goes for $40 or so...

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

Dear Sporkman:

"Sporkman" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bigfootDOT.com...

Just google, but no direct experience (for ease of use). All the words

translate solidworks inventor freeware

23,400 hits.

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

Thanks for at least responding, but I wouldn't have posted without having done exactly that and followed up on dozens and dozens of links already. As far as I can tell, that's 23,400 useless hits.

Reply to
Sporkman

Dear Sporkman:

"Sporkman" wrote >>

A lot of garbage, yes.

If you are not insistent on "cheap" (realizing that you get what you pay for):

both on page one, and
Solidworks can accept Inventor .IPT files as input. So that may offload *some* of your task.

Found those using Google advanced Ay website updated in the last 3 months, with the search phrase: migrate inventor solidworks OR "solid works"

I wasn't trying to insult you. I find all my cylinders don't fire sometimes, and people can help me "clear the jets" by gently prodding...

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

Thanks again. I'll look at those links you offered and search again as you recommend. And I wasn't meaning to indicate I took umbrage -- hope you didn't. I realize that you get what you pay for, especially with such a requirement as this one. But the client isn't paying me enough to justify a large expenditure, and since I've never run across the situation before (in five years of freelancing) I don't expect I'll run into it all that often in the future. And BTW, I didn't realize that .IPT files could be opened by SolidWorks -- sometimes if at all. Didn't know .IPT was Inventor format, for that matter. I'll try it out and see what happens, once I get access to the client's server through their WAN.

Best regards, 'Sporky'

"N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)" wrote:

Reply to
Sporkman

Dear Sporkman:

"Sporkman" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bigfootDOT.com...

No issues. Give 'em hell. Just wanted to be sure you got your money's worth! ;>)

My personal experience is that "included translators" do a really good job "bringing in" data from competing products, but sending out data to other formats usually provides really bad results. Companys are much more likely to concentrate on helping you migrate into their platform, rather than easing intercommunication. Net-net is if you got Inventor, it probably would not do as good a job converting to some intermediate format, as SolidWorks would (probably) do on a direct import of Inventor files.

It is good to be able to process the part files, but the "part assemblies" are something else again. You can always obtain an estimate for converting assemblies (if any) from link #1, and let the customer obtain that service outside your contract. They can pay you for advice as well...

Good luck. Over and out.

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)