TIP: Spring models for import

Just thought some would be interested: Century Spring

has a VERY comprehensive searchable catalog, and the results can be downloaded in IGES format. They have four sorts of springs in their searchable database (compression, die springs, extension and torsion) and at least for compression springs it works extremely well. For example, with compression springs and for a number of variables (i.e., OD, ID, free length, spring rate, solid height, wire diameter, type ends, material, finish, total coils, and a couple more) you can specify a RANGE of values, a GREATER THAN value, a LESS THAN value, or you can leave undefined. Once you've defined enough parameters to satisfy you, hit the Search button, and it will come up with all the springs that they have that will satisfy those parameters, with all parameters listed in tabular form so it's easy to compare. The fewer parameters you enter, the greater number of returns from the database. If you find a spring you like and want to download a CAD model you get to specify the format (IGES for SolidWorks is the logical choice), and then you'll have to specify the length of the spring in constrained state (however you happen to be using it in your model). You'll get a ZIPped IGES file that imports just fine into SolidWorks and will fit where you want it to fit. It's an Imported solid, obvously, so there are no different configurations you can create, but at least you can show the spring as it actually would appear where you're using it. Lots quicker than doing helical sweeps and especially better than creating the transition to a closed end spring or a closed-and-ground end spring . . . with the added benefit that you know the spring actually exists and can be ordered.

Mark 'Sporky' Stapleton Watermark Design, LLC

Sporkman

Thanks Spork, that will come in handy. BTW, will we see you at SWW this year?

Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

As usual, I can't afford it. Being self-employed I have nobody to pay the bill for me, other than my "boss", and she's a tough nut to crack. Especially as she wants to go on a junket to New York City her very own self. ;)

Reply to
Sporkman

Well, as we both know keeping "the boss" happy is job 1.

Muggs

Reply to
Muggs