Inventor to SW

Where is all the info to help me make up my mind to switch to SW?

Reply to
Richard

When I was evaluating various mid-level modelers, Inventor have no configurative parts, it used something called (i-parts ?) which where more or less runtime part deviations. Different variations of the same part where not stored with the part, the parts features needed to be switched to a different set and updated. This might be over stating the point or missing some other aspect, but at that time Inventor had no configurations for anything. Not sure how assemblies where handled. Since configurations are a huge advantage, Inventor was placed near the bottom of the stack, not to mention Autodesk was years behind the more mature product of SW.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich

Is there an area when all such info is?

Reply to
Richard

You may be going about this the wrong way. You should list out what you want from your CAD package, then look to see which system best fits your needs. For example, if you are doing strictly 2-D work then you may want to look at AutoCAD instead of SW. However, if you are looking at doing 3-D modeling of simple parts, most any package would work. Deciding to switch should be based on needs and abilities, rather than which one can "prove" itself better.

Reply to
YouGoFirst

I have been working in 3D since 1989 & plan to continue in 3D.

Where do I find the latest comparison between Inventor & SW?

Reply to
Richard

Richard,

How do you want it slanted. Most published comparisons are paid for by either Solidworks, or Autodesk. Finding an unbiased one will be nearly impossible. Wolf Publications (CAD Report) is about the most objective, the trade rags are the least.

I don't think Wolf has done a comparison of these two for a while, so anything you find won't be up to date.

Even if they were both equal, capability wise, (which they're not) I'd still go with Solidworks. They have a much more liberal licensing policy and, despite all the grumbling, are much more customer friendly than Autodesk.

What were you using in 89 ??? I was using Pro-E (Irix), and Cadam/Catia (9370 mainframe with 5080 terminals)

Mark

Reply to
MM

I would include Solid Edge in that investigation. You also will not find an unbiased comparison anywhere. You will need to do that yourself.

Reply to
ken

I bought 4 diffferent 3D CAD packages over time. Just the way it went.

First was on the Mac in 1992, EnCad or similar.

Then it was AutoCAD's first 3D, then SDRC I-DEAS, then SolidWorks, and a side issue with Ashlar so I could use it on my Macintosh.

I experienced a rash of problems of significance for me, until I got to SolidWorks, where 3D became productive. Neither ProE or SolidEdge was cost efficient or looked right for me so I didn't buy at that time in

2000.

If I partnered with a company that "needed" ProE or SolidEdge, I would probably get that package, too. I would develop my ideas where it was most efficient, but the final design might be done in a different package.

Reply to
Bonobo

I was using Acad R10 & Cadkey

Reply to
Richard

How do I find the Wolf info?

Even if the info is slanted it would still be useful. I know Inventor so I can sift through the biase.

Where is the paid for stuff?

Reply to
Richard