Kee Klamp solidworks models or convert google sketchup?

Does anyone have any Kee Klamp pipe fittings modeled in sw? Here is a web site for the fittings

The fittings are available for download but it looks like they are only available in Google SketchUp format, does anyone know how to convert that format to solidworks?

Thanks,

Sam

Reply to
Sam

I just tested one - imported it as a 3d DWG file and it shows up in solid works fine as a part

Jonathan

Reply to
jjs

fittings

I tried the same, but I was unsuccessful. I did not know it was possible to import 3D files from AutoCAD (although I've never tried too hard). Did you just rename the sketchup file to *.dwg? I tried with a different fitting and it did not work.

Reply to
Charles Culp

fittings

I just downloaded the file as it was described as a 3d dwg file. Then RMB and asked it to be opened by SW. Then SW asks if you want it as a drawing or part . I chose Part and then it came in.

I just tried the one at the bottom - maybe it was just luck

Jonathan

Reply to
jjs

hhhmmm, can you tell me where you "downloaded the file as it was described as a 3d dwg file"?

I cannot find any thing indicating that the files can be downloaded in any format other than sketchup. Did you go to the link I provided? Did you in turn click on any other links from that page?

Sam

Reply to
Sam

Check reid supply they sell them, they also have great 3d files

Reply to
kbonk

I went to the link you gave - then scrolled down untill I randomly selected

Then saw the CAD tab and registered to see the file and then got to the file "kee_121_7_3d.dwg"

Just luck I suppose to find one of the few with aCAD model - alot don't. There is a choice of 2d CAD and 3d CAD. I chose the 3d cad and it was a dwg file - Iv'e found another - kee64 and that is a a dwg as well. I have not found a sketchup yet.

They should put a mark against those with a CAD file :-) Not the best web site.

Jonathan

Reply to
jjs

I don't use sketchup, but most CAD programs (even simple free ones) have the option to export to IGES, STEP, Parasolid, etc. Try installing Sketchup and checking what export options it has. Maybe it's as simple as opening the parts in Sketchup and saving them to a file format that SolidWorks can read. If I remember correctly, it should at least be able to export to 3D DXF/DWG.

Reply to
takedown

Sketchup PRO can export to both IGES and STEP. The free version cannot.

Reply to
Charles Culp

I don't use sketchup, but most CAD programs (even simple free ones) have the option to export to IGES, STEP, Parasolid, etc. Try installing Sketchup and checking what export options it has. Maybe it's as simple as opening the parts in Sketchup and saving them to a file format that SolidWorks can read.

Reply to
takedown

Thanks for the responses guys, I was able to contact someone at Kee Klamp and they posted all the cad files for me to download. As was pointed out some are only available in 2d some are in 3d. I have imported a few and most seem to translate fine. If I ever get them all into sw I think I will post to 3d content central, but dont hold me to it.

Sam

Reply to
Sam