Electrical videos

Hi all , Watch a lot of electrical videos and download it here

eng

| Hi all , | Watch a lot of electrical videos and download it here |

Before I bother to visit, I want to know if this site contains normal video files, or if it requires using the Flash plugin to support restricted video.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

They are both in Windows and Flash. It has been my experience that Windows wmv files have difficulty playing in Netscape but Flash plays in both. Evidently, Adobe that makes the Flash player keeps up with both Netscape and Microsoft, but Netscape and Microsoft can't get along with one another enough to maintain compatibility for wmv files. This is great for Adobe because one has to purchase the software to install and build the flash movies.

Reply to
Gerald Newton

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 12:12:37 -0800 (PST) Gerald Newton wrote: | On Feb 3, 8:05?am, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: |> On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 01:35:02 -0800 (PST) eng wrote: |>

|> | Hi all , |> | Watch a lot of electrical videos and download it here |> |

|> Before I bother to visit, I want to know if this site contains normal video |> files, or if it requires using the Flash plugin to support restricted video. |>

|> -- |> |---------------------------------------/----------------------------------?| |> | Phil Howard KA9WGN (ka9wgn.ham.org) ?/ ?Do not send to the address below | |> | first name lower case at ipal.net ? / ? snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net | |> |------------------------------------/-------------------------------------?| | | They are both in Windows and Flash. It has been my experience that | Windows wmv files have difficulty playing in Netscape but Flash plays | in both. Evidently, Adobe that makes the Flash player keeps up with | both Netscape and Microsoft, but Netscape and Microsoft can't get | along with one another enough to maintain compatibility for wmv files. | This is great for Adobe because one has to purchase the software to | install and build the flash movies.

Flash videos do not play in browsers that do not have Flash. Having flash in the browser opens one to a lot of web site abuses, as does Java and even JavaScript. I surf safe w/o any of those being active. Fortunately I can turn JavaScript and Java on and off as needed. I can't do the same with Flash, so Flash remains uninstalled.

So how about making the files available in MPEG format as .mpg named files? My movie player can do many WMV files, too, so maybe I'll try that. Part of the problem with proprietary "standards" like WMV is that Microsoft has the habit of changing the standard just when a lot of compatible programs become available.

Maybe I should make my own videos of some transformer explosions and transmission line arcing :-)

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Reply to
Teddy Rubberford

Yup. Flash sucks. "Serious Flash vulns menace at least 10,000 websites" by Dan Goodin

*-*-*-SWF-*+*-are-no-*+doesn't.fix+malicious-strings-*-*-*-*-legitimate-code+*-*-tools-*-contain-*-bugs+cross-site.scripting+government.agencies+financial.institutions+*-*-*-lots-*-*-*-are-vulnerable+Copyright+recompile&strip=1

**ActionScript & cross-site scripting vulnerabilities** by US-CERT
*-government-*+2007+*-*-CA-2000-02+Flash+ActionScript+cross-site.scripting-*+*-*-*-detailed-description

An often-overlooked capability.

All you need is a Gecko browser

an extension (PrefBar or FlashBlock)[1] . . [1] Without one, you still waste bandwidth downloading Flash crap

--even if you have no interest in viewing it (unless you use an AdBlock feature/extension to totally block that junk).

Reply to
JeffM

| All you need is a Gecko browser

Or just a link to a .mpg file in MPEG format.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Flash is the only way I know to make those little movies where people walk out onto the web page with an invisible background. You have to use a MOV file with the alpha channel that Flash imports. That is the main reason I invested the $1800 in Adobe products. It took all of two weeks to learn how to make those movies and now I don't know if it is worth it. Also, Flash has those neat little player skins that can be customized while the windows media player is limited. As far as the the other Flash problems you mentioned I think good security software like Trend Micro will stop the problems. Also, I generally use all Windows products including IE 6+ and find they work just fine.

Reply to
Gerald Newton

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 00:04:47 -0800 (PST) Gerald Newton wrote: | On Feb 5, 7:59?pm, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: |> On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 00:04:17 -0800 (PST) JeffM wrote: |>

|> | All you need is a Gecko browser |>

|> Or just a link to a .mpg file in MPEG format. |>

|> -- |> |---------------------------------------/----------------------------------?| |> | Phil Howard KA9WGN (ka9wgn.ham.org) ?/ ?Do not send to the address below | |> | first name lower case at ipal.net ? / ? snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net | |> |------------------------------------/-------------------------------------?| | | Flash is the only way I know to make those little movies where people | walk out onto the web page with an invisible background. You have to | use a MOV file with the alpha channel that Flash imports. That is the | main reason I invested the $1800 in Adobe products. It took all of | two weeks to learn how to make those movies and now I don't know if it | is worth it.

It's not something I will see until such capability is integrated securely as part of the browser itself.

| Also, Flash has those neat little player skins that can be customized | while the windows media player is limited. | As far as the the other Flash problems you mentioned I think good | security software like Trend Micro will stop the problems. | Also, I generally use all Windows products including IE 6+ and find | they work just fine.

I use all Linux/BSD "products" and find that IE 6 won't run on them at all. I do watch genuine (non-Flash) videos via a program called mplayer. I can watch them in a little window or make them go to the full screen. I don't get hassled over whether I have the rights to watch or not.

What I suggest is to make movies available TWO ways. Go ahead and use the Flash setup, but also make the MPEG file (with .mpg extension) available as a separate link. You might want to also make other formats available such as AVI (which I avoid because it has a fundamental design flaw that allows video and audio to get out of sync too easily).

Reply to
phil-news-nospam