Opening Unigraphics Files

Anyone else having problems opening large (280 meg) UG files in SolidWorks? We've got one of the best Dell machines with 2 Gig of ram. It seems to really bog down when doing the translating. Once it's in everything seems O.K..We deal with a lot of automotive customers who generally supply large files with tons of extra info. we don't need in the models. We have to work with what we're given. SW vendor has suggested going up to 4 Gig. Comments appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike

The best Dell's these days are obsolete, but that is another issue. If you are getting Ship in a Bottle times with your system around 38 seconds that will be about as good as it gets for you.

A few practical things:

  1. Use Ship in a Bottle and STAR to make sure your machine is really giving all it can.
  2. Use XPTC to tune up your system. Make sure that a minimum of services are running.
  3. Make sure the 3GB switch is enabled. If you have 2Gb and the 3Gb switch in place you should be ok for all but the largest projects. Even with 4Gb you can only use about 2.6 to 2.8 Gb in SW.
  4. Make sure graphics settings are set to fast in your default part and assembly templates.
  5. And of course shut down everything else on your system like Outlook, email, browsers, etc.
  6. If you can, try importing in 2004 which should be about 10% faster than 2005. After import move the stuff to 2005.
Reply to
TOP