accessing part files via the internet

I'm trying to get set up to work at home and am almost there........
Is it possible to work on assemlbies at one location with the server at
another location? I'm using "remote desktop" for most functions but it really doesn't work for Solidworks. I also have a drag and drop capability from the remote server.
I have SW loaded on the remote computer. My problem really is organizational..... is there an easy way to send over all of the parts files for an assembly, make changes, and send them all back automatically.
Many thanks......
Have our company setup a VPN, then you map the drive that the files are stored on your computer at home. You would need to install SW on the computer at home also.
jpk
I don't believe you'd be happy with the results. I use an FTP site, and transfer files to my local computer to work on them. Working on a vpn or any other arrangement where the data is not on a LAN is generally too slow to be practical. Even LANs are often too slow, so many people opt to have local data.
FTP and zip files is how I handle this. If you have a PDM system for local use, that's even better. I guess the best thing might be VPN access to PDM, work locally and check files back in via VPN. Still, VPN is painfully slow. Remote desktop I think is even worse, because the interface is so slow.
Agreed! I work from home very often. Using VPN or Remote Desktop is painfully slow. Remote Desktop is pretty good until you try to do something graphics intensive like SW. If it wasn't for that one issue, I would use Remote Desktop exclusively to work from home. But, since it doesn't work well with SW, the way I have found to be the best is: 1. I do log into my workstation via remote desktop. This is for a couple of reasons: a. I "punch-in" using my time logging software that is on my work computer. This keeps my time data in one location (less headache). b. I use the remote desktop interface to move and compress (using WinRAR) the files I need to the internal FTP server at work. It's just like I'm sitting in front of my computer at work, so its fast. 2. I end the remote desktop session and break any connections I have to my work network. 3. I browse to our work FTP site from my local machine and download the files. 4. I put the files on my local machine in a folder structure identical to what I have at work. When I do this, I will not need to re-establish references after the files have been returned to work. 5. After I am finished working at home, I essentially do the exact opposite to get the files back on our work file server, and to "punch-out".
--
Seth Renigar
Emerald Tool and Mold Inc.

Remote desktop works ok here for accessing the business software we use, but for any cad it's just too slow.
I copy files to a memory key, or my mp3 player (40 gig hd) if the files needed are large, and copy back and forth as needed. We've also used the company ftp site, but my home connection could be faster too.
It's simple and works well here - but we're not using a pdm system either.
Whatever works and is secure for your company, if there are proprietary issues with data being off site.
Diego
Actually, that IS what I do, exactly. I didn't want to get into the details and confused anyone.
--
Seth Renigar
Emerald Tool and Mold Inc.

I'm fond of a file-synch program called "Beyond Compare" : http://www.scootersoftware.com /
It can synchronize folders/files between 2 drives and is very easy to configure. I carry a portable USB drive (soon to be replaced with a Flash device), and at the end of a work session at home or office, I let B.C. synchronize any files that have changed. This way, I have identical project databases at office, home and on the USB drive, so I get project backup for free.
At $30, it's a bargain.
Art W.