Sharing files over the internet

I need to give an access to our files over the internet does anybody have better solution than FTP?

Reply to
mr.T

Depends what kind of "sharing" you want to do. How much data are you sharing? Who will be accessing it (public or internal employees only or customers, etc)? What kind of internet connection will the parties have?

You could setup a vpn and remote users could access files on your network.

mr.T wrote:

Reply to
Mr. Who

VPN works quite well but I have found some graphics issues using Remote Desktop in that it does not seem to like OPEN GL and seems to hang, graphically, every once in a while. VNC works as well but the resolution of the image on the client side is pretty poor.

I have actually used my Palm TX and my wireless home network to VPN into my desktop at work and do some minor stuff in SW, open large assemblies, look at drawings etc.

Steve R

Reply to
Steve Reinisch

You might also look at PDMWorks Enterprise (Conisio) as it has a web client that allows remote locking/unlocking files. But first, you must answer the previous questions to see if this is the correct solution.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Actually I'm thinking VPN, it is overseas connection thru T1 and +/- 3GB of SW files access read only

There is a SolidWorks seat on other end so RDP is unnecessary.

Anybody uses this type of setup?

Reply to
mr.T

Reply to