Washer tangent to bent tube with a hole for a shaft

Hello,

Is there a good way to constrain a flat washer against a bent tube with a hole in it? The hole is for a shaft and is at the intersection of a large (~4" radius) 90 degree bend in the tube. The tube is about 1 inch in diameter. The tangent constraint will not work, I think because of the complex surface intersection in the tube. Help!

-Lou

Reply to
loudig

A good way? No, I don't think so, but there are some dirty ways that work well enough.

I'm not sure I'm getting exactly the geometry you're talking about, but here's a file that describes what I'm talking about:

I made the hole go through the tube on the toroidal surface at some compound angle not parallel to the plane of the CL of the tube because I wasn't sure if you were talking about a simple or complex case.

I used the plane of the CL of the tube to make a silhouette Split Line on the face of the cut. This gives me a point on the surface where the washer will touch. Then I created a plane that sits tangent to the surface at that point. Now you have something to mate to. Then I just used a sketch point in the center of the washer to mate to the axis of the hole in the tube, and all that's left is to constrain rotation, which doesn't matter.

Then again, maybe I'm way off base. I assumed the hole is smaller than the tube, and that the washer is flat.

Reply to
matt

Hello Matt,

Thanks for the info. From what your describing, it looks like a good solution to my problem. Brute force, but a solution. I thought there might be a more elegant method. I can't read in your example as we do not have what appears to be Solidworks 2005 installed at work yet.

Thank you for the help!

-Lou

Reply to
loudig