McMaster-Carr Catalogs

Anybody have any tips for prying a catalog out of McMaster-Carr? I've placed 2 orders and both times I asked for a catalog also but I've
never gotten one.
smart snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Repeat every 2 weeks, for 2 years, and then, just maybe, one day you will get your mail, and there will be this strange brown box, and as you tear it open, your teary eyes will glimpse that beautiful yellow cover we all know and love.
You will be on the list, more coveted hereabouts than any nightclub doorman's list.
Course you could buy one on ebay
Ya'd think they would get the point and start selling them at least.......

Find out who is in their legal and marketing departments and propose that idea along with a notice that they cannot do so without paying you for the idea... They'll revolt against your legal threat and do so without asking you for permission or paying you and everyone unfortunate enough to be a small customer will be happy to have the option. :)
...I've got an old Thomas Register set I'll give you for the price of shipping and packing... :):):)
Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022 http://www.AutoDrill.com http://www.Multi-Drill.com
V8013-R
Joe AutoDrill wrote:

I dunno Joe, they just discontinued offering the printed version, so those may be worth something ;)
I guess I am lucky. I take the outdated ones from work as soon as the new ones arrive. Just as good as a new one accept the prices are a little off. Never knew they sold them on Ebay. Larry

I guess I am lucky. I take the outdated ones from work as soon as the new ones arrive. Just as good as a new one accept the prices are a little off. Never knew they sold them on Ebay. Larry

I think the deal is you need to have a Brad & Dunstreet rating, and apply for a net 30 account with them......
Probly also helps if you happen to spend several grand / year with them.
--
SVL

I think it may be a frequency thing. I order an average of once per month. Most orders are under $50. So I'm small potatoes. But, I get a new catalog every year.
While we're on the subject I'll put in a plug for their service. If I order by 5:30 PM, its here by 9:30 AM the next morning. Almost never a backorder or stockout. For me, its easier than going to the hardware store.
Karl
wrote in

I'll have to agree wholeheartedly. The longest lead i've had is a week. It is usually here the next day. I have had instances where it was partial shipped out of atlanta and partial shipped from another facility, all arriving within 2 days.
--
Anthony

I can beat that. I am 100 miles from the Atlanta warehouse. If I get an order in by 7:30 in the morning it is at my door by noon. Any order in by 8PM is delivered by UPS by mid afternoon. I asked my UPS driver about it. He says that UPS keeps a couple of trailers at the McMaster loading dock and pick them up every night around 9PM. Early morning orders within 100 miles or so are sent by a private delivery service.
I am also among the blessed few who has received a catalog for the past couple of years but I seldom use it. It is easier to use the web site and the catalog is just to big to make good bathroom reading. :-)
--
Glenn Ashmore

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

I've never had a D&B rating in 25 years of being in business. In fact, I enjoy baiting the D&B scammers when they call looking for money for a service that is absolutely useless to me.
My theory is that whenever your accumulated purchases exceed some amount, which seems to be around $1500, McMaster sends you a new catalog and resets the counter. I've got about 10 years of accounting records in the computer and can display purchases by year. The arrival of new catalogs seems to correlate pretty well with this model.
On the other hand, they could be running a lottery, and sending catalogs based on a random drawing from the year's invoices. Or everyone who ordered a package of 10-32 stainless steel flat heads this year gets a catalog. Next year the secret purchase is a set of Bondhus wrenches. <g>
Ned Simmons
On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 23:23:52 -0700, "PrecisionMachinisT"

http://www.msen.com/~pwmeek /
Secrets to getting a catalog:
Say you have 25 or more employees Say you are in manufacturing or steelfab, not a hobbyist Do not say you are an engineer or purchasing agent, say you are maintenance Be angry on your second call, or at least say it's your second call, and ask for a supervisor.
They have (or had, while I was there) this attitude that they only send catalogs to those they "want" to do business with and meet certain criteria. Credit doesn't have anything to do with it, and if you wait for them to notice how much you order it may be a year before they do.
In article <1120747530.370185.95490

I have one employee (me) and usually get a catalog every year.

McMaster has no idea what my business is, or whether I even have a legitimate business.

They've never asked my function, and I've never told them.

I'm puzzled by the folks who think that a business is obliged to send them an obviously expensive catalog just because they ask for it. Especially when the whole catalog is available online in a very convenient format.
Ned Simmons

Some companies actually *sell* their catalogs (although they usually also send free ones to good customers). What's interesting to me is that McMaster doesn't seem to mind providing an exceptionally high level of service to people who apparently don't deserve to get a catalog at *any* price. Do they want my business or not?
I've never looked at their online catalog, but I've never seen one that was a complete replacement for a paper catalog. Anything that uses a database has the problem of how to find something if you don't whether it exists or not. Browsing through the appropriate section of a paper catalog is more likely to get results in that case.

It would be nice if people were that consistent, but it's well known that people behave differently in different situations. In particular, many people lie in some situations but not in others.
One source on this is "The Person and the Situation" by Ross & Nisbett (1991), but any book on lying is likely to mention it.
If you are anywhere close to a business manufacturing almost anything, stop in and ask if there are any "old" catalogues laying around that you could have.
It's been my experience that most people receiving new cataloges seldom take the time to "update" but just put the new catalogue along with the old one.
A catalogue a couple or three years old would probalby meet your needs as to specifications, etc. and a quick phone call to them would verify current prices.
As to the online catalogue, why not try it? It's actually pretty nice, and you can view the actual catalogue page. When all else fails, call them! What with the prepaid phone cards, three or four cents a minute is pretty reasonable to get what you need.
Ace
writes:

snipped-for-privacy@shell.core.com says...

Maybe it's part of the mystique. <g> Another thing that only dawned on me recently is that McMaster *never* has specials like Grainger, MSC, et al.

It's worth a look-it's about as good as it gets for an online catalog and ordering system. Despite having the catalog, I do all my ordering online. If you want to browse for an idea, I agree the print catalog is better.
Ned Simmons
Ned Simmons opined:

I ordered a coalescing filter and socket wrench adaptor at 4:45 PM on July 4 from McMaster. Both were on the front porch by 6:00 PM on July 6 (UPS ground).
For me, that is very special, indeed.
--Winston
On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 19:34:10 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@shell.core.com (Ron Bean) wrote:

If you have a fast Internet connection, their online catalog is as good (in some ways better) as the hard copy. It is easier to do searches; more words in the descriptions are indexed; more info (like CAD drawings) is available; illustrations are clearer (and magnifiable); prices are up-to-date; availability is known immediately; and the speed is acceptable. The only real advantage the hard catalog has, is that it is easy to leaf through it to discover things I never knew I couldn't live without. That MAY not actually be an advantage.
-- --Pete
http://www.msen.com/~pwmeek /
I also do not see what's the big deal about these catalogs, other than the prestige factor. I can find anything that I need by asking here and browsing their online catalog.