Way covers for milling table

I can cut a 1'X 1' (expanded) way cover from MMC for $27.00 and it would probably suit my requirements but am wondering if there are any better deals out there? Any homemade substitutes? Currently using two paper towels taped to the saddle.

Reply to
oparr

10 mil PETE plastic sheets in an accordian fold. Disguised as clear GBC binding covers at the office supply store.
Reply to
Richard J Kinch

If it doesn't have to be accordion-folded, then you can use plastic floor "runner". This stuff is sold by the foot off 3' or 4' wide rolls (can't remember) for very cheap at local hardware store; I got mine at OSH for my lathe ways. Typically, it comes in a clear vinyl (relatively stiff), or a dark-brown/black rubber-like material (much more pliable) which I prefer. The stuff I got has ribs across the top and a smooth bottom. I cut it so that the ribs (which run the length of the material) are perpendicular to my ways so it rolls up nicely when I need to, and it makes it easier to brush the chips off.

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

--If it's a Bridgeport-type mill you might want to bite the bullet and get a set from Gortite; worth the money in the long run, IMO.

Reply to
steamer

Thanks all for the suggestions. The above seems most interesting, will investigate further.

Reply to
oparr

I use black floor runners in the drawers of my toolbox. It provides a little cushion and the ribs keep things in place.

Not exactly cheap at ACE hardware though.

Reply to
Chuck Sherwood

The ways on my mill are protected by pieces of old bed sheet held in place with lots of small magnets. It's easier to remove chips from the magnets if the cloth is rolled around them. I can't vacuum the chips up but they brush off without pulling the cloth loose.

jw

Reply to
jim.wilkins

The shield over the mill lead screw when the table is moved. When the plastic - rubberized maybe - cracked and went south on my Mill-Drill unit - I replaced it with a cutoff section - of pond rubber sheet. Pond companies or plant houses that sell wet plants - have the rubber sheeting that covers a hole in the ground to make a pond from... My wife got a cut off section - small 10-15' size - not large enough for a pond - I used a nice section and replaced the cracked on on my mill. It is flexible and oil safe. Martin

Reply to
lionslair at consolidated dot