dremel sized milling bit for cylinder head gasket material

Anyone have experience making head gaskets? I have some metal impregnated material, punches and a dremel set.

What would be the best type of bit to use to make the inside cut?

Need several head gaskets for engine that are no longer available. Can also make a routing template out of hardwood if necessary, but I could use an old gasket and just be careful.

Reply to
bw

Have you considered a gasketing compound? It seems like the right combination of spray thickness and drying time could seal it up nicely.

Failing that, I do know for the holes you can use transfer screw punches. I have a set of 10-32 from Small Parts. You'll likely need something a bit a larger. They provide a center point surrounded by a male hex, with a driver in the tip of the steel storage case for insertion and removal. Or are they called screw transfer punches?

If you have the time and can do it cleanly, you can remove the crank and pistons, having provided stud holes, and bolt up the head, then scribe really well from below.

Failing that, you use an intermediate transfer material. Brown paper, or 0.020 Lexan come to mind. I have some 0.020 Lexan.

For cutting a gasket, you always sandwich it between two plys of wood to prevent snagging the edge and give a clean cut, rather than cutting the raw gasket. So you have to transfer your pattern to both sides of the sandwich, with alignment, then monitor progress, flipping frequently if you are using a jigsaw.

Install wood screws or thread in lengths of rod all around the cylinder hole, where it's scrap anyway, to tighten up that pattern. Make them flush. For screws, go from both sides. For studs, cut to length, drill and tap, and thread in with blue nut lock. There will be vibration. Leave blade clearance but support the cut.

I think with gasket material, an adjustable speed router, dry cutting, and the right setting could produce a fine, splinter free result. I've never done

*that*!

Or, if the gasket is 8 1/2 inches wide or less, find a way to scan it and process the scan on your computer. Print and cut on tempered glass until it fits. Then deliver the B/W scaled pic on diskette to your NC laser or waterjet shop for a supply that will last.

You can brayer ink onto the head surface and pull a print, lithography style, to get this scan, then run it through a fax to get it into your computer. But I have never seen a scanner or fax more than 8 1/2 inches wide. There must be some.

I tolerance everything and tolerate everyone. I love: Dona, Jeff, Kim, Kimmie, Mom, Neelix, Tasha, and Teri, alphabetically. I drive: A double-step Thunderbolt with 657% range. I fight terrorism by: Using less gasoline.

Reply to
Doug Goncz

Many engineering ofices have scanners that can scan up to 48" wide and as long as you can feed it. However, these are sheet feed scanners. Flatbeds over 8.5X11 are rare and relatively expensive. Some multifunction photocopiers can scan 11X17.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce