McMaster-Carr Catalogs

Some folks are "online" and some folks are "hardcopy only."
Often you can tell the latter because there's a lot of muffled cursing inside their offices and the sound of computer keyboards being slammed into the walls.
Basically folks like us like to have pages to drool over. Strange I know but there it is. The real deal is that most of the GUIs for those online catalogs just plain suck.
Jim
please reply to:

And while I do have wifi networking in my home..balancing a cat and a laptop on my knees while sitting on the terlet tends to lessen the enjoyment of the browsing..and the pooping
Gunner
I order from MMC quite frequently and they have never sent me a printed (or otherwise) catalog....Thank God. Yes, I know what I'm missing....A lot of weight to recycle.

I dunno. I like a printed catalog I can simply peruse for enjoyment and to stimulate ideas. There are many, many items in there you'd never guess they carried, or guess about an application until you read the information they present.
Besides, my laptop is clumsy to use while I'm on the can.
I'm a bit confused by people who insist they must lie to get a service. If I knew they'd lied to get a catalog, I think I'd automatically assume they'll lie to me and their other customers. I have enough other problems to make me want to avoid dishonest businessmen.
If you're looking for a specific item, the online catalogs for both McMaster (better, I think) and MSC (not as good, but perfectly usable) are adequate for any ordering you do. As with anything, if you do enough volume with them to justify sending you a $30+ catalog, they will.
LLoyd
To get around the silly constraints on who gets and who doesn't get a catalog you do what you have to do. And it keeps you from getting put in a "inconsequential" classification which means you have to buy $1500 a year for a few years before they decide to treat you like the real customer you are and send you a catalog.
In article <1120756174.588937.240640

In other words, because you've decided the way that McMaster allocates catalogs is silly, you're justified in lying in order to get one.
If you've determined the price the 7-11 is charging for a slush-puppie is out of line ($1.49 for a quart of colored half-melted ice!!), do you feel justified in stealing one?
Ned Simmons
It's more along the lines of the 7-11 clerk looking at you, saying "I like how you look, come in the store" and then the clerk looking at the next person and saying "I don't like how you look, go away, you can't come in". I'm trying to tell you how to look nice for the clerk, not how to hide something in your coat and walk out.
Remember, I'm coming from doing the job of having to tell a guy who would buy from us a lot if he had a catalog that he can't have one, give him some lame reason and refer him to our website instead, because he doesn't have enough employees for his SIC code or because he has the "wrong" job title. It breaks your heart after a while.
The catalog cost about $9 to produce, which is less than the manpower expense they spend deciding wether to send you one if you request it.
In article <1120762961.775979.240150

McMaster isn't keeping you out of the store by not giving you a catalog.

I don't doubt that plenty of deserving folks are refused a catalog. I've been frustrated myself in the past trying to get one. But it is McMaster's call, and I personally don't feel right about fibbing in this situation.
Ned Simmons

Yep, no sense losing sleep over a catalog :))
On 7 Jul 2005 07:45:30 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I think Ned has it right: some threshold of total orders. I know they sent catalogs to me even when I told them I was somewhere between a one-man shop and a hobbyist. I later began ordering quite a high volume from them, but the catalogs began arriving while it was quite low, but long term and consistent.
BTW, I don't think that a couple of years is too long for them to decide if you are "their kind" of customer. -- --Pete
http://www.msen.com/~pwmeek /