McMaster-Carr

Folks, You may find this interesting, but McMaster-Carr will not sell to service men serving overseas. I made a purchase yesterday quite successfully and today I received a very polite email refusing the transaction refunding my money. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

What did it say? They must have offered some explanation for their position.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Probably export control. The correct procedure is likely to place the order using your US shipping address and have your spouse/relative repack the item into your next care package.

Reply to
Pete C.

Please note below the actual text they sent to me. There is no export control. APO/FPO addresses are considered domestic and the order I placed was fo 10, 316 SS studs 3.5" long. Hardly a controlled item.

Steve,

McMaster-Carr only accepts overseas orders from a few long-established customers. We do not sell to private individuals outside of the United States, and we will not be able to accept your order. We regret any inconvenience this causes you.

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

It probably has to do with shipping problems. Have someone in the states buy it and ship it to your APO.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler

Jim, Of course I can do that, but it unnecessarily inconveniences people and appears very shortsighted on their part. See my response to McMaster-Carr below:

Hi, I must say that I am deeply disappo>> Folks,

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

It is domestic but customs forms are required to ship to APO/FPO addresses.

MikeB

Reply to
bq340

I also sent a message to them (see below). It'll be interesting to see their response, if any. Where are you stationed, Steve? What branch of the service? I'm a retired Master Sergeant from the Air Force.

that you refused to sell to him. Can you explain your refusal? It certainly can't be shipping problems since APO/FPO addresses are considered DOMESTIC addresses by the post office. I would be curious to learn what your policy is in this regard. Thank you.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler

And better use another name for the order. If they even know it's going to be eventually shipped outside the US they'll cancel that order too, so afraid are they of Big Brother.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

replying to Jim Chandler, Timothy Craven wrote: I don?t think McMaster sells overseas. I?ve read numerous post on other forums from other machinist stating such....to the effect that Americans don?t know how lucky they are to have McMaster.

Reply to
Timothy Craven