Partly OT - The things you get asked...

Like many of you that have websites, we receive a lot of emails from companies and individuals overseas, looking to source parts for engines or whatever.

Also like many of you, we rarely get a 'thank you' after we have sorted out the problem, so very often we refuse to answer emails from those people.

The latest twist is an email we received today, with a Word .doc attachment. The attachment lists three items of shafting, probably for a ship, and the email asks us if we can quote for the supply of the parts, or advise of another maker who could supply.

So we open the attachment, note the three items therein, and on scrolling down the page we find:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Manufacturer's Name and Address Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering Co Ltd. OKPO Shipyard offshore & Special ship division. 1, Aju- Dong, Koje- city, kyungnam, 658-714, Korea +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Needless to say a sharply worded email was sent back to the originator!

Yes, they may have had problems with dealing with Daewoo, but imagine the hassle of us in the UK trying to get these parts ourselves and sell them on...

Anyone else had anything similar/interesting lately ?

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Whilst we are on the subject of Daewoo, can you ask them for some bits for my daughters Matiz :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

When I had the bike shop, I was running a 450cc Ducati street scrambler. It was a rare bike here, being an American import. After a while I got bored with it and put it in the local evening paper.

It didn't sell, but about three weeks later, the phone rang and there was this bloke all keen to buy it, asked me lots of searching questions and it became obvious that he was not resident in the Bristol area.

"Where are you?"

"St Helena"

"Pardon?"

"St Helena. It's an island, a British Colony in the south Atlantic about half way between Africa and South America. Napoleon used to live down the road from my house."

"That St Helena. How did you hear I'd got it for sale?"

"The six monthly supply ship was in Avonmouth Dock loading and one of the crew bought the evening paper back with him. They sell really well here."

Of course, foolish of me. Anyway, he sent me a cheque and in five months time I rode it down to Avonmouth, up a very narrow gang plank and into a dark hole at what seemed like a hundred feet up in this 'ere steel wall. The crew gathered round and revved it a bit and someone test drove it off down the gangway, came back, signed my bits of paper and away it went.

My Furthest Customer (at the time) rang me up to say how pleased he was and later sent me a photo of it parked on a headland overlooking the Southern Ocean with nothing but empty sea between it and Antarctica.

I predict that this is going to be an interesting thread!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
J K Siddorn

I think you've trumped everyone with that story, Kim.

The best I can offer is the tired old grey Ferguson TE20 tractor I sold on ebay.

When we came here it was sitting in a brook, presumably left in disgust where it had its dying coughing fit about 15 years previously. It had arrived new to the farm in 1954. My Dad wouldn't rest until we dragged it out of the water and mud, and within a few hours he got it running. The Fergie produced the most impressive cloud of black smoke seen in these parts for many a long day. Afterwards I spent some time fiddling with it, rebuilt the top end, fettled up the brakes, clutch and so on, but somehow it didn't continue to excite my interest and the nettles started to grow around it again......

A few years down the line, it was obvious I should pass it on to someone who would give it the care and attention it deserved. Local advertising produced a few tyre kickers who didn't want to pay much for it, so ebay got it. A chap came all the way from Clacton on Sea and seemed pleased with his purchase. I told him the various items which needed attention, but he was indifferent, as he owned a haulage firm and it was going straight to the firm's diesel fitter. I drove it onto his hired breakdown wagon and off they went, leaving me with some welcome cash and an oily patch amongst the nettles.

A couple of months later, I received an email with pictures of the totally refurbished Fergie cutting grass on the new owner's smallholding in the South of France.

Sounds a rather nice retirement!

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G

Good tale Arthur - I rather like the concept of elderly tractors retiring to the South of France!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,

"Arthur G"

where it had its dying coughing fit about 15

wouldn't rest until we dragged it out of the water

the most impressive cloud of black smoke seen in

with it, rebuilt the top end, fettled up the

interest and the nettles started to grow around it

who would give it the care and attention it

to pay much for it, so ebay got it. A chap

I told him the various items which needed

going straight to the firm's diesel fitter. I

some welcome cash and an oily patch amongst

refurbished Fergie cutting grass on the new

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Here is my latest on requesting Lister parts, when I did not reply, they sent an urgent reminder which prompted me to inform them I collected and restored old ones, but I did not sell new parts.

Dear Sir,

MOST URGENT!!

Please find follow urgent requirement for Spare Parts for Fresh Water

Pump Compelete for Lister Engine HRWS6 and request you to quote

1)Fresh Water Pump Compelete for Lister Engine HRWS6 , Plate No. 13,

Qty: 2 Nos.

Spare Parts for above Pump as Follows:

A) Ring Sealing , Part # 291-25271Plate No. 13, , Qty: 4

B) Seal Carbon , Part # 291-21502, Plate No. 13,Qty: 4 Nos.

C) Ball Bearing ,Small,Plate No. 13,Part # 351-43940 , Qty : 4 Nos.

D) Ball Bearing , Large, , Part # 351-43950, Plate No. 13,Qty: 4 Nos.

Please quote FOB Basis prices and delivery,advise shipment weight and volume keeping validity for 60 days.

DOME REF. AA

This is very urgent requirements and your special efforts shall be highly appreciated.

Closing Date : 18-07-2004

Thanks and regards,

Shahin Amirjani

Dome Trading & Contracting