how'd you get free of the sporge ?

I have noticed that this newsgroup lately is relatively (or totally ? ) free of the sporge that was attacking it a few weeks ago. I am a member of another NG that still gets that crap, and was wondering how you guys pulled that off ? Is there someone that has taken it upon himself to moderate the group and sends out "delete requests" to the network ?

Just trying to get a clue so I/we can do the same on the other group. ( a couple of people on here will recognize my user name ... )

Thanks ! JCD

Reply to
pogo

This in interesting Pogo, the robotics group has been really hit by this crap yet no other newsgroup I participate in has the same overwhelming number of incredibly ridiculous postings.

I wish you luck in your quest.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

The jerk seems to have gotten bored with this group.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Ask Iggy. He is our moderator.

Just trying to get a clue so I/we can do the same on the other group. ( a couple of people on here will recognize my user name ... )

Thanks ! JCD

Reply to
Robert Swinney

I don't recall him ever claiming such. What's the deal?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

According to pogo :

I don't think that there was *anything* that was done by any of us -- other than tricks to clean the list of articles to download on a short-term basis so we could get to the real articles.

I think that we were simply not enough fun for him, and he went to newsgroups were there was more reaction to his postings.

The real solution would be to change it to a moderated newsgroup, except that this is a quite difficult process these days, and that sort of thing can burn out whoever is unlucky enough to be the moderator at that time.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

At least it isn't like rec.models.rockets -- somebody there has a grudge against several regular posters, and seems to have time to write incredible, obscenity-laden screeds anytime any of them post. I'm not qualified to make a diagnosis, but he's obviously got a pretty severe mental imbalance. There's also the regular dose of sporge that's also hitting some other groups I read...

Fortunately (for that group) he declared victory a couple of days ago, and seems to have disappeared -- while warning us that he'll be watching our conduct. So I expect to see more of it in the all-too-near future. Which is really sad, as there was a time when that was one of my favorite newsgroups.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Yeah I know! I am halfway taking it personally! If I have pissed anyone off I would hope they would just target me, not everyone else. :-(

Reply to
pogo

I would like to hear more about that! anything at all ... :-)

Thanks for the info and suggestions. "The truth is out there" - its just covered by a bunch of hooey lately!

Reply to
pogo

I gotta admit, I like your attitude, pogo.

Old German Saying:

"There are many levels of truth".

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb himself

--At least one other group heavily hit is sci.engr.joining.welding and we haven't got a clue what to do with it. Always interested in solutions we are!

Reply to
steamer

Find a better news server.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

According to pogo :

[ ... ]

[ ... ]

Believe me -- if they were pissed off at *you* -- they would make sure that everyone else in the newsgroup *knew* that you were the reason they were targeting the newsgroup. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

According to pogo :

[ ... ]

The trick is to examine the headers of several of the offending articles, looking for things like "NNTP-Posting-Host: " being the same, or some part of the "Message-ID: ", or some trailing part of the "Path: " header. Once you find something which is common to all (or many) of the offending articles, add that to your killfile. (This requires a newsreader with a good killfile which can be targeted on something more than just the "From: " header (Author). I think that Outlook Express is a lost cause for serious killfiles. :-)

Then exit and re-enter the newsgroup and see whether that got rid of all of the offending articles. If not, repeat with what is left, until you come back clean.

If they are really working at spaming the newsgroup, you will probably have to repeat this as they switch servers.

Or -- get a news account with someone (like the Newsguy which I use) which prides themselves on killing spam. If things get bad, report to their newsguy.general newsgroup, and they will add the necessary information to "SpamHippo's" list of allowed food. :-)

Of course -- this only works while you are using that news server.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Thanks for the info! JCD

Reply to
pogo

heh heh heh :-)

Reply to
pogo

Well, that's good to know ... ummmmm .... I *think* ! :-) Thanks - jcd

Reply to
pogo