Phenolic Handles

That name sounds more familiar.

Ayup.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Fastenal -was- in my list--of places to avoid--due to their pricing. I wanted -3- 55 gallon drum lids w/ qd bands for a client and they quoted me $99, plus $67 s/h. I found them for $43 delivered on Amazon. I don't even talk to Fastenal, let alone refer anyone to them.

They're $1.28 each on eBay, w/ free 4-6 week delivery from China.

Unless you're from the gov't:
OMFG!

That's always good to hear from anyone. Congrats.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I've bought from both without problems, WHEN I can find something. Their search engines truly Hoovers.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That is not a generic 341... Might actually work on very small molds and is a fantastic price! Will keep this in mind if I ever get around to working on my various projects ^H dreams.

But, but it is stainless steel!;-) Seems like the handle pads have changed a bit. Hope the old ones still fit as I have a bunch to eventually sell. (Mostly off brand but a few real Destaco's.) Pulled them off since they would burn up in the oven anyway.

Reply to
William Bagwell

Daka Ware makes a lot of industrial plastics:

Michael A. Terrell

I had a friend who was a wholesale surplus dealer, who sold to Radio Shack. They wold buy components like this from him, as long as they met the minimum requirements. If he had 600V bridges, but they needed 50V, that was how they packaged them. His price wasn't dependent on the specs, but on his costs.

He had a store in the Orlando area about 20 years ago, before he moved to the Carolinas. I lost track of him, after that. His name was the same as a famous electronics blogger from down under.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On bridges and rectifiers in general.

If the reverse voltage is high then the other specs are based on the reverse voltage. e.g. the leakage currents and such.

It is generally best to buy the voltage range you use or just higher. Those are made for that service.

Mart> Jim Wilk>>>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Do you think that the people who bought surplus from RS even cared? :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I certainly didn't care if their bridge rectifiers underpromised and overdelivered. The fuses were exactly as marked, THAT matters to me.

Reply to
whit3rd

With Schottky diodes increasing the reverse voltage rating costs a higher forward drop, but I don't remember hearing that about silicon junction diodes when I was a lab tech at Unitrode. The forward properties of the 1N4001 - 1N4007 series are all listed as identical:

I didn't get any good hits from a search on diode recovery time vs PRV.

The voltage rating doesn't factor in when using a junction as a temperature sensor, unless they lump it into "ideality":

That's a very sensitive measure of a junction's DC properties, though not capacitance and recovery time. It's useful when checking out new ICs in the lab if the connections to a junction are externally accessible or can be probed.

I worked on a tester that used base-emitter voltage drop to measure and control the temperature of a socketed power transistor, without a heatsink. The only active correction in the op-amp control loop was subtracting the intrinsic resistance of the emitter multiplied by the collector current.

The life of a transistor was very short above 175C, and only a few seconds as it approached 200C. I have a lot of experience overstressing and breaking things.

I was called in on that project to find out why the power supply shorted when the device polarity was reversed. The problem was very efficient relays whose high inductance kept them pulled in by current circulating through the clamp diode for about 15 seconds after they were turned off. The engineer knew the theory well, but not so much the practice.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

All I've ever heard from RS shoppers are cuss words over their $8.99 each prices on tenth-of-a-cent items.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You had to pay for the privilege of not stocking the parts you needed.

I was in one years ago, where some jerk was yelling that they should have the Horizontal output transistor, damper diode and flyback he wanted. Some fly by night, work out of their trunk 'TV repairman' no doubt.

I needed some Flux remover, and the only local parts house had closed. It was a two hour round trip to their nearest branch so I could buy cases of it at RS for less than the lost production time and travel costs. These days I buy cans of brake cleaner at a liquidator.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Very early silicon were similar to selenium, in that they stacked low voltage diodes to get the required PIV. Microwave oven diodes still do this.

Early color TV sets switched from a 1V2 tube to a long thin stack of selenium pellets in the focus circuit. They had a very high forward drop, and could not be tested with the equipment sold to TV shops.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Boy, that brings back memories. Dad and I went down to the local TV repair shack and tested the tubes for our family TV set, bought a couple, and returned home to fix the TV. That was back when I was a

13 year old kid and Dad was flying for the Vegas run for Princess Airlines. IIRC, tubes were expensive for that high-tech -color- TV in '66. That's back when you could test the tubes for free, and if they all checked out, they would have you deliver the set for actual repair by someone qualified.
Reply to
Larry Jaques

I was repairing color TVs at 13. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I was bolting lawn mower engines to bicycle frames . Got a dandy 2 stroke mini-tiller engine out there ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

:)

I was making $1 an hour after school and on Saturday, along with lads of used B&W TVs for free. I fixed a lot of them, and sold them to the kids at school. That was a ready market in the mid '60s! :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Wow, a child prodigy.

Reply to