online source for tool steel?

I live off in the boonies and occasionally have a need for tool steel. For example at the moment I'm getting ready to make a 1" sawblade from
a bolt because that's what I can get my grubby mitts on... I know it'll be soft but it'll probably hold up until I can get some proper steel. There has to be a place somewhere on the web where a guy can order tool steel in small quantities, right? tia.
Best prices I've found on drill rod and ground flat stock is:
www.toolanddie.com
For other tool steels, as well as for non-ferrous stuff, I've been happy with Online Metals:
www.onlinemetals.com
MSC is the old standby:
www.mscdirect.com
Cheers,
Jim
For W1, O1, and A2 you can't beat McMaster Carr. Fair pricing and it will be on your door step tommorrow morning.
Karl
I have been very happy with McMaster Carr, easy to buy steel on the web, they will sell short pieces (usually 1, 3 or 6 feet) of various alloys, much cheaper than local suppliers. The shipping may be almost as much as the steel, but still cheaper than buying locally.
Can't get a catalog out of them, unfortunately.
Richard
Karl Townsend wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote...

Did you actually compare the prices to ToolAndDie.com? I usually find McMaster-Carr to be in the same price range as MSC.
Example: 3/4" W-1 drill rod x 3' qty 1 McMaster-Carr $10.02 MSC $9.38 ToolAndDie $8.24
Example: 1/4" x 2" x 3' O-1 ground flat stock qty 1 McMaster-Carr $32.89 MSC $34.10 ToolAndDie $26.13
There's an even wider disparity in quantity pricing.
True, both McMaster and MSC both have very low lead times (best I've seen), but I tend to order early enough that ToolAndDie's slightly longer lead time doesn't matter.
Also, McMaster generally has a wider selection of sizes and grades available, and I order from them often because of that.
I usually get W-1 drill rod on sale from Enco. They sometimes have incredibly low prices on it.
Jim
These guys http://littlemachineshop.com/default.php have a link to Online Metals. I've bought stuff from both companies with good results.
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 16:55:00 -0600, random

Thanks all for your links/names/etc.
random wrote:

Try using an old vehicle leaf or coil spring. I've made lots of tools with it.
Ted