Threaded Rod Expert Out There?

I have a unique challenge at hand. I need to find 1/2 or greater diameter threaded rod in the following thread pitch combinations:

10 11 12 13 14 16 18 20 24 28 32 40

I'd settle for 3/8 diameter if I had to, but the real question is whether there is a single diameter rod that is available in all those thread pitch combinations. Size of the rod is not too important, but a 6" diameter won't work either.

If I could get 10 out of the 12 in a single diameter rod, that would be great too... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

My suggestion is to contact the manufacturers, see thomasregister.com .. GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

McMaster is where I started my little search. They have the following thread pitches in the form of taps for sale in 3/4 diameter:

40 32 28 27 24 20 18 16 13 12 10

To me, that means that someone, somewhere is selling 3/4" bolts, threaded rod, or studs with those thread pitch combinations... But it's not always the case, right?

I've found a few, but not all. And then the question is... Why do they have a tap available if the bolt that goes into the hole doesn't exist?

I might have to go to TR and see who they list... But I'm looking for a quick, one stop shop for these of course... At McMaster's pricing.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Nope. That means bolts come in those sizes. Threaded rod is different -- it's intended for quickly bolting together stuff. It's usually made cheaply and I doubt of very good steel. Electricians use it a lot to hang brackets down from suspended ceilings, stuff like that -- why on earth would they want oddball nonstandard threads? And who would pay to stock them?

My guess is you won't find them anywhere. But the fastest way to end the agony of looking is to find the manufacturer and call them up. If you find a store and call them or search their Web site and they don't have it, what do you know? You only know they don't have it -- you do *not* know it isn't made. What, are you going to search every Web site on earth? No. Call the guy who makes them. One phone call and you're done.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Although that is generally true, it is widely available in steel, steel alloys including stainless, brass, etc. They come in different finishes like black oxide, galv., left hand threads, etc.

So... Assuming that it is not available just because most people use it for quick and dirty applications doesn't seem logical to me in this case.

I was hoping to find that out. All the items I mention above are available via McMaster.

Called a few. They can do it, but only if my cost is high enough or I buy enough. They are non-standard enough that they have to purchase the die just for me, etc.

Sugino sells it as part of a lead screw tap unit and I can get it separate from them, but the format is not really useable for my specific application.

I was hoping that a threaded rod "expert" might have answers - someone in the threaded rod manufacturing arena who knows a super source, etc.

Thanks for the thoughts though. You are 100% correct in your comments, just not in this particular situation.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

Speaking of quantity...?

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

What I'd like to get would consist of 10-25 6-8" lengths when I'm all done...

I think I'm going to have some similar product made since I can get it done in 3/4" or even 1" diameters and have a special tap made for around $60.

I was looking for a cheap, quick way to accomplish the same task with less time / material than contracting to two different local shops, etc. Plus, if the materials are readily available cheap, then replacement parts are too. This way, I have to make 200-500% of what I need just to keep my customers happy once the device is built around the parts.

Happy weekend to all. I'm outta here!

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:13:42 -0500, "Joe AutoDrill" calmly ranted:

Did you also notice that most of the threads went with a certain diameter? There are several different standards and what you ask for is nothing standard at all. You won't find a 1/2-40 bolt anywhere, most likely.

Sure you wouldn't settle for a thread pitch gauge? They're $6 at HFT. (When you can find them.)

Give

and
a looksee.

Alternatively, head down to the local machine shop and ask any guy with a toolshop lathe to cut one or more for you. Most metal lathes can do most of those threads on any diameter rod without any problem.

----------------------------------------------------------- -- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels --

Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases ==================================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I did of course know and notice that... But that's why I'm asking here and searching. Because there is always something new for me to learn and since I need an answer to this and wanted an easy source, I figured I'd look.

BTW - MSC has the 1/2-40, 48 and even 56 taps for sale as "specials" so someone must make a "special" bolt too. I doubt many of us will ever see one, but someone must be using them somewhere...

I actually need the rod for a project...

I'll try use-enco.com and see what they come up with... However, I agree that the machine shop answer is probably the best solution long term.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

IIRC, I have a pair of 1/2-64 in the shop. Dad needed some different 1/2" types some years ago. He was trying to match a thread of a bladder type ink pen.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

All that tells me is they would/should sell the equivalent DIES for those sizes, not the bolts, rod or anything else with those threads.

Ken Grunke

Reply to
Ken Grunke