Resident Used Equipment Dealer?

I think it's Gunner... Anyone else deal in used equipment?

I've got a customer looking to possibly track down WWII era or "big" drill press machines. Big, heavy, virtually unbreakable by today's standards....

For instance, he just bought a machine with a 4" round quill, 5 HP, etc. Not super huge, but bigger than you can get at most "normal" tool suppliers these days.

I'll pass on telephone numbers and/or e-mail addresses if you want. Just shoot me an e-mail or reply here with the contact info.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

John has an amazing collection of *huge* machine tools. He's in the Eastern Washington desert, a good place to store machines.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Collection? Jeez... Does he own a few aircraft hangars or something? Your use of "*huge*" may be an understatement...

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Visiting that website is an experience unlike any others. Highly recommended.

Start with this page

Ignoramus27006

Nice "portable" mill there - 5 tons.

Reply to
_

30,000 lbs!! You'd think that just shipping to Quincy, WA would cost more than it's worth. Never mind shipping it out to the buyer.

Too bad there's no picture for the 80" x 30 ft (!) roll lathe.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Gunner's pal Leigh at MarMachine is another possibility.

snipped-for-privacy@AOL.COM is his email address.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Radial arm drill press...?

John

Reply to
john

How about an old buffalo drill press:

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

Something like this? McKean is my favorite dealer and they are 15 minutes away.

Tom Gardner

Not necessarily that big... Simply needs raw HP and "bulk" to drive a large multiple spindle head. He is doing 8-10 holes on a bolt circle that is 15" in diameter. Each hole 1/2" diameter ... So far in plastic, but possibly metals later.

The head is no problem... Been there, done that. But the drill press is always a challenge. To get enough HP and enough rigidity, you have to go pretty large.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Yup. Those are the types he seeks as long as they have a non-rotating quill.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Nice machine. Possibly too large... If there is such a thing...

Wonder what the chuck mounting surface is on that? Looks like a spline rather than JT or MT...

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Thats a cute little drill. It looks like the quill fell out of it. The spline drives the quill.

JOhn

Reply to
john

Like a big Natco? A customer of mine scrapped one out about six months ago.

John

Reply to
john

I think this is some sort of drill... It's "pretty" big.

-----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

I recently went to pick up some auction stuff, and saw an enormous drill press, the size of my pickup truck. I actually almost bid on it, not realizing that it was 4x bigger than i thought.

Ignoramus27175

Cincinatti Bickford... Quite common and useful if you need a monster. But not compatible with most multiple spindle head devices that clamp onto the non-rotating quill because of the way the quill and spindle are driven and stroke.

If it were animated, and set up to fight a Bridgeport, who would win? :)

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

According to john :

[ ... ]

I'm not sure about that. It looks like a tap in a collet, used for rigid tapping. That machine looks as though it might have the ability to do a feed per revolution as would be needed for rigid tapping.

A pity that the view does not show the top of the head. I would expect a drawbar on that machine.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Yup, I think you are right about the tap mounted in a Morse tap collet. Most all those radial arm presses use morse tapers. Radial arm drills generally do not use a drawbar. The radial arm drill float the quill for tapping. On some of them you can set the depth where the quill reverses direction for tapping. It is like tapping on a bridgeport but with a lot more torque.

If you have never seen one, a morse tap collet has a straight sided inside hole with split sides that squeeze in on the wall of the tap when the collet is put into the morse taper quill. There is a square at the bottom of the hole to drive the tap. The tap will not slip at all when held with this type of collet. They are useful in the tailstock of a lathe for tapping as well as in a bridgeport type mill. You would need a R-8 to morse adapter to use them though.

John

Reply to
john